Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > HOWTO-Related Questions

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 17th September 2006, 04:58
netzach netzach is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Help with Virtual Users And Domains With Postfix, Courier And MySQL procedure

Hi all!

Working throug the Virtual Users And Domains With Postfix, Courier And MySQL (Fedora Core 5) process and I've his a couple of snags.

Most serious is that after the postconf commands on page 2, I'm unable to get postfix to recognize commands. I telnet to localhost on port 25 and it just sits there and looks at me. No response.

I have found that if I edit /etc/postfix/main.cf and comment out the four lines which have "proxy:mysql:" in them, and restart postfix, then it works - postfix responds with the OK message and allows me to "ehlo localhost".

Any ideas?

Also - when I installed ISPConfig, I missed the instruction about answering "n" and now whenever I reboot the system, it's asking for the passphrase. Any way to redo that?

Thanks in advance,

Guy.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 18th September 2006, 11:19
falko falko is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lüneburg, Germany
Posts: 41,701
Thanks: 1,900
Thanked 2,739 Times in 2,574 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by netzach
Hi all!

Working throug the Virtual Users And Domains With Postfix, Courier And MySQL (Fedora Core 5) process and I've his a couple of snags.

Most serious is that after the postconf commands on page 2, I'm unable to get postfix to recognize commands. I telnet to localhost on port 25 and it just sits there and looks at me. No response.
What's in your mail log?

Quote:
Originally Posted by netzach
Also - when I installed ISPConfig, I missed the instruction about answering "n" and now whenever I reboot the system, it's asking for the passphrase. Any way to redo that?
Did you install ISPConfig on the same machine? This doesn't work, the virtual Postfix setup is incompatible with ISPConfig!
__________________
Falko
--
Download the ISPConfig 3 Manual! | Check out the ISPConfig 3 Billing Module!

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 18th September 2006, 18:11
netzach netzach is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Thanks for the reply!

Quote:
What's in your mail log?
Mostly, the log is full of:

mail postfix/proxymap[14645]: fatal: unsupported dictionary type: mysql
mail postfix/smtpd[3638]: warning: premature end-of-input on private/proxymap socket while reading input attribute name
mail postfix/smtpd[3638]: warning: private/proxymap socket: service dict_proxy_open: Success
mail postfix/master[3633]: warning: process /usr/libexec/postfix/proxymap pid 14645 exit status 1
mail postfix/master[3633]: warning: /usr/libexec/postfix/proxymap: bad command startup -- throttling

Message group repeats about once every minute.

Quote:
Did you install ISPConfig on the same machine? This doesn't work, the virtual Postfix setup is incompatible with ISPConfig!
Ouch! It would have been nice had there been a note in the tutorial to that effect. The postfix/courier/mysql how-to simply said to set up a Fedora core 5 machine per that howtoforge how-to - which included instructions for ISPconfig. It sounded like a good idea, so I did. Is there an uninstall how-to for ISPConfig?

bestRegards, Guy.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 19th September 2006, 15:34
falko falko is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lüneburg, Germany
Posts: 41,701
Thanks: 1,900
Thanked 2,739 Times in 2,574 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by netzach
Mostly, the log is full of:

mail postfix/proxymap[14645]: fatal: unsupported dictionary type: mysql
mail postfix/smtpd[3638]: warning: premature end-of-input on private/proxymap socket while reading input attribute name
mail postfix/smtpd[3638]: warning: private/proxymap socket: service dict_proxy_open: Success
mail postfix/master[3633]: warning: process /usr/libexec/postfix/proxymap pid 14645 exit status 1
mail postfix/master[3633]: warning: /usr/libexec/postfix/proxymap: bad command startup -- throttling
Did you make a new Postfix rpm from the srpm? If so, something went wrong, because Postfix doesn't have MySQL support...

Quote:
Originally Posted by netzach
The postfix/courier/mysql how-to simply said to set up a Fedora core 5 machine per that howtoforge how-to - which included instructions for ISPconfig.
I said you should follow the first three pages of that tutorial, not the whole tutorial. The ISPconfig instructions come at the end.

Run
Code:
/root/ispconfig/uninstall
to uninstall ISPConfig.
__________________
Falko
--
Download the ISPConfig 3 Manual! | Check out the ISPConfig 3 Billing Module!

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 19th September 2006, 16:56
netzach netzach is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
I said you should follow the first three pages of that tutorial, not the whole tutorial. The ISPconfig instructions come at the end.
<embarrased cough - ahem>

Guess I should try reading for comprehension this time, eh?

Thanks for the help on this. I noticed that I'm now getting filesystem errors, so it looks like I'm going to have to reformat and start from scratch. This time, just the first 3 pages of the tutorial, answer the questions better so I don't get a startup challenge passphrase, etc.

bestRegards, Guy.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 20th September 2006, 17:52
falko falko is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lüneburg, Germany
Posts: 41,701
Thanks: 1,900
Thanked 2,739 Times in 2,574 Posts
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by netzach
I noticed that I'm now getting filesystem errors
I hope your hard disk is ok?
__________________
Falko
--
Download the ISPConfig 3 Manual! | Check out the ISPConfig 3 Billing Module!

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Virtual Users And Domains With Postfix, Courier And MySQL (+ SMTP-AUTH, Quota, SpamAs mholownych HOWTO-Related Questions 10 29th May 2006 03:39
Autoreply problem using Virtual Users And Domains With Postfix, Courier And MySQL triak HOWTO-Related Questions 1 19th May 2006 15:25
Virtual Users And Domains With Postfix, Courier And MySQL - "apt-get" and Courier burritonator HOWTO-Related Questions 3 15th March 2006 20:11
Problem with Virtual Users And Domains With Postfix, Courier And MySQL Howto fenix Server Operation 4 11th March 2006 02:53
Another Problem: Virtual Users And Domains With Postfix, Courier And MySQL (+ SMTP bluegrass Installation/Configuration 24 8th March 2006 01:41


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:19.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.