Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > HOWTO-Related Questions

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 17th September 2006, 04:58

Default Help with Virtual Users And Domains With Postfix, Courier And MySQL procedure

Hi all!

Working throug the Virtual Users And Domains With Postfix, Courier And MySQL (Fedora Core 5) process and I've his a couple of snags.

Most serious is that after the postconf commands on page 2, I'm unable to get postfix to recognize commands. I telnet to localhost on port 25 and it just sits there and looks at me. No response.

I have found that if I edit /etc/postfix/main.cf and comment out the four lines which have "proxy:mysql:" in them, and restart postfix, then it works - postfix responds with the OK message and allows me to "ehlo localhost".

Any ideas?

Also - when I installed ISPConfig, I missed the instruction about answering "n" and now whenever I reboot the system, it's asking for the passphrase. Any way to redo that?

Thanks in advance,

Guy.
Sponsored Links
Old 18th September 2006, 11:19
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,739 Times in 2,574 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by netzach
Hi all!

Working throug the Virtual Users And Domains With Postfix, Courier And MySQL (Fedora Core 5) process and I've his a couple of snags.

Most serious is that after the postconf commands on page 2, I'm unable to get postfix to recognize commands. I telnet to localhost on port 25 and it just sits there and looks at me. No response.
What's in your mail log?

Quote:
Also - when I installed ISPConfig, I missed the instruction about answering "n" and now whenever I reboot the system, it's asking for the passphrase. Any way to redo that?
Did you install ISPConfig on the same machine? This doesn't work, the virtual Postfix setup is incompatible with ISPConfig!

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Old 18th September 2006, 18:11

Thanks for the reply!

Quote:
What's in your mail log?
Mostly, the log is full of:

mail postfix/proxymap[14645]: fatal: unsupported dictionary type: mysql
mail postfix/smtpd[3638]: warning: premature end-of-input on private/proxymap socket while reading input attribute name
mail postfix/smtpd[3638]: warning: private/proxymap socket: service dict_proxy_open: Success
mail postfix/master[3633]: warning: process /usr/libexec/postfix/proxymap pid 14645 exit status 1
mail postfix/master[3633]: warning: /usr/libexec/postfix/proxymap: bad command startup -- throttling

Message group repeats about once every minute.

Quote:
Did you install ISPConfig on the same machine? This doesn't work, the virtual Postfix setup is incompatible with ISPConfig!
Ouch! It would have been nice had there been a note in the tutorial to that effect. The postfix/courier/mysql how-to simply said to set up a Fedora core 5 machine per that howtoforge how-to - which included instructions for ISPconfig. It sounded like a good idea, so I did. Is there an uninstall how-to for ISPConfig?

bestRegards, Guy.
Old 19th September 2006, 15:34
Super Moderator

Quote:
Mostly, the log is full of:

mail postfix/proxymap[14645]: fatal: unsupported dictionary type: mysql
mail postfix/smtpd[3638]: warning: premature end-of-input on private/proxymap socket while reading input attribute name
mail postfix/smtpd[3638]: warning: private/proxymap socket: service dict_proxy_open: Success
mail postfix/master[3633]: warning: process /usr/libexec/postfix/proxymap pid 14645 exit status 1
mail postfix/master[3633]: warning: /usr/libexec/postfix/proxymap: bad command startup -- throttling
Did you make a new Postfix rpm from the srpm? If so, something went wrong, because Postfix doesn't have MySQL support...

Quote:
The postfix/courier/mysql how-to simply said to set up a Fedora core 5 machine per that howtoforge how-to - which included instructions for ISPconfig.
I said you should follow the first three pages of that tutorial, not the whole tutorial. The ISPconfig instructions come at the end.

Run
Code:
/root/ispconfig/uninstall
to uninstall ISPConfig.

Old 19th September 2006, 16:56

Quote:
I said you should follow the first three pages of that tutorial, not the whole tutorial. The ISPconfig instructions come at the end.
<embarrased cough - ahem>

Guess I should try reading for comprehension this time, eh?

Thanks for the help on this. I noticed that I'm now getting filesystem errors, so it looks like I'm going to have to reformat and start from scratch. This time, just the first 3 pages of the tutorial, answer the questions better so I don't get a startup challenge passphrase, etc.

bestRegards, Guy.
Old 20th September 2006, 17:52
Super Moderator

Quote:
I noticed that I'm now getting filesystem errors
I hope your hard disk is ok?