Thanks for the info. Just a FYI for anyone else, I've updated from 5.2 to 5.3 and during the update it complained about some user shell problem, but it seems to have updated fine. Never looked into the exact problem.
After that I've updated to ISPconfig 2.2.31 and for some reason it locked up half way during the install. I had to force hard reboot it, but after that I noticed the /root/ispconfig directory was still there so I ran the upgrade again and this time it finished.
After finishing All the services worked fine but the ispconfig server would not start, after looking into the http error logs it looks like it could not read the ssl cert.
So I recreated the cert and all is well now.
Just wanted to list the things I ran into. Hope it goes smooth for you.