Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > HOWTO-Related Questions

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 15th September 2006, 23:25

Default Hostname problem in TPS Ubuntu 6.06

I'm currently trying to work my way trough the tutorial "The Perfect Setup - Ubuntu 6.06 LTS Server (Dapper Drake)". And I'm now at the 3rd page doing the /etc/hosts part.

The tutorial sais that I should get atum.zicoz.org (my version of server1.example.com) on both "hostname" and "hostname -f" but when I do "hostname" I only get "atum". Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

And also, in the next step I'm supposed to use Putty to edit some other stuff. Are there any guides on how to use this program? And on hostname should I put in "atum.zicoz.org", "192.168.0.100" or somthing else as the hostname in Putty?

ps: I'm a Linux-noob, so be gentle with me
Sponsored Links
Old 16th September 2006, 23:55
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,729 Times in 2,567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zicoz
The tutorial sais that I should get atum.zicoz.org (my version of server1.example.com) on both "hostname" and "hostname -f" but when I do "hostname" I only get "atum". Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?
That's ok, nothing to worry about.

Quote:
And also, in the next step I'm supposed to use Putty to edit some other stuff. Are there any guides on how to use this program?
Do you mean vi? Have a look here: http://www.howtoforge.com/faq/12_15_en.html

Quote:
And on hostname should I put in "atum.zicoz.org", "192.168.0.100" or somthing else as the hostname in Putty?
Use atum.zicoz.org.

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Old 17th September 2006, 16:12

Quote:
echo atum.zicoz.org > /etc/hostname
/bin/hostname -F /etc/hostname

Quote:
And also, in the next step I'm supposed to use Putty to edit some other stuff. Are there any guides on how to use this program? And on hostname should I put in "atum.zicoz.org", "192.168.0.100" or somthing else as the hostname in Putty?
http://www.jfitz.com/tips/putty_config.html
http://the.earth.li/~sgtatham/putty/0.58/htmldoc/

good luck