Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 2 > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 1st June 2007, 22:37

Lightbulb ISPConfig corrupts named.conf when DNS is edited

According to my very knowledgeable server support guy, ISPConfig corrupts the named.conf file by adding an invalid character to it every time a DNS zone is edited. This of course takes the bind down, making it impossible for the site to resolve properly.

Quote:
"We also found a problem with ISPConfig, that when you edit a dns zone in ISPConfig, it corrupts the /etc/named.conf file, as it is adding an invalid character that makes bind down. We fixed this by protecting (read only) the said file. After we've done this, all dns problem is corrected, just look into dns report."
So this looks like a bug, we've struggled for three weeks (a nightmare!) to find out why the freaking site was not showing. The developer's may want to make a note and check on this.

Great open source software, although it's convoluted (IMHO) when it comes to DNS settings. Too many settings in non-intuitive places that make configuring DNS a problem. Also, couldn't see manual or tutorial that really covered this. Most of the time I didn't know if the value to be entered was the IP or the nameserver as in "ns1" or whatever. Also, in certain fields it's hard to tell if that should be a domain name or an IP or just a title.
Sponsored Links
Old 1st June 2007, 23:09

I have at the moment 58 sites on one of my servers, and alll with their own DNS zones.

I'm not having this corrupted named.conf problem with my ISPconfig.
It must have been some bad entry that was used in the setup of a zone causing your problem.

Last edited by edge; 1st June 2007 at 23:12.
Old 2nd June 2007, 15:22
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,744 Times in 2,577 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont
According to my very knowledgeable server support guy, ISPConfig corrupts the named.conf file by adding an invalid character to it every time a DNS zone is edited.
That's not true. I'm hosting all my DNS zones on ISPConfig servers, and everything's working as expected. Maybe something's wrong with your setup?

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on: