Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 26th September 2006, 12:03

to be on the safe side i'll do a fresh installation on 2 pc's again hope that this time it works...
Sponsored Links
Old 28th September 2006, 12:22

hi,
i noticed the problem to when trying my howto some days/week later :x

you should go to backports for lsb package or just get every thing from them.

eg. apt-get install bind9 -t sarge-backports

the dnssec-enable option will not work with the bind9 version Sarge has, so thats why youre stuck now and need the version from testing
Old 10th December 2006, 03:59

I have a question about the master/slave DNS system.

What I want to ask is if I have to manually edit the named.conf file on the Slave DNS Server every time I add a new domain to my Master DNS Server.

I understand that the zones file gets created automatically by the transfer process between the master and the server that bind does, but what about the named.conf file?

In a short way, is the Slave DNS Server a set-and-forget thing or do I still have to login to it and manually edit the named.conf file every time I add a new domain?

And a second question I would like to ask is if a DNS server can be a master for one zone and a slave for another zone at the same time.
The reason I'm asking this is because I have some Plesk servers and using this script I fetch the DNS records from the Plesk servers. The script produces a file that has all the zone configuration from the Plesk servers, but configured as slave zones then transfers the zone files using the bind transfer system and finally it restarts named. I have added this script to my crontab and it runs every 15 minues. The only thing I needed to do was to add the generated filename as an include in named.conf the first time the script ran. So I want to ask if it's OK to host master zones and slave zones on the same machine.

Thanks a lot,
wintech2003

Last edited by wintech2003; 10th December 2006 at 04:10.
Old 11th December 2006, 13:43
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,744 Times in 2,577 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wintech2003
What I want to ask is if I have to manually edit the named.conf file on the Slave DNS Server every time I add a new domain to my Master DNS Server.
Yes, unless you use a control panel like ISPConfig on your slave. If you don't add something like this to the named.conf on the slave:

Code:
zone "example.com" {
        type slave;
        file "sec.example.com";
        masters { 1.2.3.4; };
};
where 1.2.3.4 is the IP address of the master DNS server. Then restart Bind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wintech2003
And a second question I would like to ask is if a DNS server can be a master for one zone and a slave for another zone at the same time.
Yes.

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on: