Old 7th September 2006, 03:09

Talking Need a new box...

Didn't really know where to put this post, but I'm looking to buy a system to run a *nix based home web-server. I've found a good deal on a box with a MSI motherboard (K9VGMV) and processor (AMD Sempron 64 2800+) (total is less than $500). But from what I'm reading there are problems with 64 bit systems running *nix. Can anyone suggest an affordable system or are there pretty easy work arounds for the 64 bit systems?

I'm a major noob, but am looking forward to learning a new system other than windows (Bill Gates is rich enough if you ask me!)
Regards!
Jim Adams
Sponsored Links
Old 7th September 2006, 08:14
Local Meanie

As far as I know the 64bit systems with the perfect setups (I would prefer Debian) should run out of the box without problems... however I never had a 64bit sys before but I tend to think *nix on 64bit runs better than windoze.
Old 8th September 2006, 18:14
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,735 Times in 2,571 Posts

I've tried Debian 64bit, Fedora 64bit, CentOS 64bit, Mandriva 64bit, and SuSE 64bit, and never had problems.

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Old 14th September 2006, 02:26

Hi,

I have installed SuSE, CentOS ( two versions), Fedora 4/5 and Debian and I have never had any type of problems with Linuxes.
The more interesting is that you have Full Native 64bit support on almost all interesting applications running on Linux for at least 3-4 years, on several Linux flavours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvsailor
Didn't really know where to put this post, but I'm looking to buy a system to run a *nix based home web-server. I've found a good deal on a box with a MSI motherboard (K9VGMV) and processor (AMD Sempron 64 2800+) (total is less than $500). But from what I'm reading there are problems with 64 bit systems running *nix.
No problems that I am aware of?!?!
By the way Linux was born also on 64 bit systems as Linus Torvalds developed code to run on Alpha stations arranged By John "Maddog" Hall wich where 64 bit 12 Years ago.
Not to mention the enormous range of platforms where Linux was ported to, that range from 16 bit to 64 bit, in any imaginable configuration you can think of.
Also 'Problems' is a word Linux does not know about. We have challenges, goals, issues in way to solution.
Welcome to the real stuff kid.
Speaking about problems:
I have installed a system on a research institution 8 years a go. It is a really Bad custom made cheapest hardware you can imagine (the actuall box is actually open as the side panel does not fit anymore on the enclosure . It functions as email server, web server, ftp server. Processes something like 1TB /Month on email alone.
It never had a problem, and no software was ever up-graded on the last 8 years!!
Zero problems so far.
That is a poof of quality ...

Quote:
Can anyone suggest an affordable system or are there pretty easy work arounds for the 64 bit systems?
Today any Distributions is good. It really depends on your experience on a particular distro and also your level of Linux expertise.
As you are a newbie maybe a good start would be SuSE, but any other distribution should be ok.
Today they are all very very good.
In this Forun a lot of guys tend to lean more on Debian as Debian is more reliable and stable for server work.
SuSE is more easy to use and more cutting edge (newer kernel version, more config tools ... ).
It actually depends on one personal taste and usage.
In the good old days this subject would start a flame war
It really depends on what you want to do with Linux.

Quote:
I'm a major noob, but am looking forward to learning a new system other than windows (Bill Gates is rich enough if you ask me!)
Regards!
Jim Adams
Regards,
Pedro
4.000.000.000 + years and No one -----> NO ONE <------ ... complained about Pluto's orbit excentricity or tilt (non-equatorial orbit ) ... and after all this time a bunch of guys with nothing to do decide Pluto is not a Planet !!!
Something is really wrong on This Planet ...

Fight Microsoftism --> PLUTO _IS_ A PLANET !!!