Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > HOWTO-Related Questions

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 21st December 2008, 23:51

Wink ? on "Simple Home File Server" how-to

I been trying to follow the "Simple Home File Server" how-to so I can use an old machine as a file server for both my Windows and Linux boxes. I get stuck at the point where it wants me to connect to the internet - I don't have a hard-wired connection - it's wireless. The wireless adaptor worked fine with the same machine using Ubuntu desktop edition, but I cleared that all off to make it into a simple file server.

Any ideas on how to get wireless working as your only network connection for Ubuntu server for using with the how-to?

Thanks in advance!

Dave
Sponsored Links
Old 23rd December 2008, 10:11

Got help on the Ubuntu forums for the syntax of the /etc/network/interfaces file. Now wireless works fine. So, I have a Ubuntu server whose only connection to the network is wireless, and a Windows XP Pro box hard wired to the back of the wireless router. Can see and work with shares now.

Will be adding a Ubuntu desktop soon as it arrives this week.

Dave