Old 31st August 2006, 13:19

Send a message via MSN to arni
Default Questions fro Apache

Hallo to everyone..

I have a question about redirecting a user to another place, but before i would like to point this:

I have two network cards in a linux box, the first is connected to the internet and the second acts as a DHCP server. Everything goes well up to now. I installed the VMware server and i think this made the messup...

My internet card is 192.168.0.100 and the DHCP server card is 192.168.5.1. I have two clents for test and they take ip allright and the routing works fine.

Until I have installed the VMware server (I think it was after this, i am not sure though, the vmware plays perfectly by the way) when i was punching on a client the address 192.168.5.1. i was arriving at the /srv/www/index.html page. Fine up to here...

Now when i punch this address, i have a "access forbidden" message. Whatever i have tried through Yast, does not seem to bring the system back. I have no special configuration at Yast, just the defaults..

My aim is to redirect the clients to a homepage (preferable the one of /srv/www/index.htm or at a valid url http://www.something.com or whatever) but as soon as they are plugged in the routing box and start their browser.

Short version: Is ther esomething i can do from the HTTP server in my linux box so that when a client plugs in and clicks his browser to arrive to a certain homepage regardless of the default homepage of his browser?

I am sure it exists or it is some small adjustment, but i am quite new to this..
Thanks

Arni
Old 1st September 2006, 16:48
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,735 Times in 2,571 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arni
Now when i punch this address, i have a "access forbidden" message. Whatever i have tried through Yast, does not seem to bring the system back. I have no special configuration at Yast, just the defaults..
I think this is the normal behaviour on SuSE. What's the output of
Code:
ls -la /srv/www
?

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on: