Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 2 > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 17th September 2007, 07:57

Default Prevent Apache config files from being overwritten

Hi all,

I have successfully deployed an ISPConfig installation on Ubuntu Server 7.04 with one site configured. My problem is that I have made manual customizations to the apache config files generated by ispconfig (both in /etc/apache2/apache2.conf and /etc/apache2/vhosts/Vhosts_ispconfig.conf), and I need to preserve these changes in the updates ispconfig makes to those config files.

My question is twofold:

1) It seems that ispconfig rewrites the apache config files on a regular basis. I have witnessed this twice so far, where I see the website does not work, and I track it to ispconfig's apache configs being overwritten (and effectively voiding my custom configs). I need to find a way to either disable ispconfig rewrites or make it respect my customizations. Can anyone help me?

2) When I make changes to the config through the web based interfaceof ispconfig, again my customizations are overwritten. This is of less priority of course (I can edit the config files through the command line manually) but I prefer ispconfig's apache config writer to respect my customizations, if possible.

I appreciate any help.

Thanks!
Ehsan
Sponsored Links
Old 17th September 2007, 10:00
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,259 Times in 4,123 Posts

Never edit the file Vhost_ispconfig.conf file manually, add your customizations in the apache directives field of the website instead of the file.
Old 17th September 2007, 10:36

Thanks for your reply.

The problem is part of the customizations goes into apache2.conf which I don't think is affected by the Apache Directives field.

Also, is there a way to prevent ispconfig from rewriting the config files, at least as long as no change is made through the web interface?

Thanks!
Ehsan
Old 17th September 2007, 10:52
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,259 Times in 4,123 Posts

ISPConfig never changes the apache.conf or apache2.conf file after the initial installation. If the file is changed on your system, it is not changed by ISPConfig.