Old 24th August 2006, 22:23

Default SUSE 10.1 not recognizing RAID?

I'm installing SUSE 10.1 on an Intel P4 server platform with SATA drives.

I created a RAID 1 in the BIOS but the SUSE installation is able the see the 2 drives. Since it's a RAID 1 shouldn't it see only 1 drive?

Is this normal with linux or is the RAID not working?
Sponsored Links
Old 24th August 2006, 23:43

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmiJames
I'm installing SUSE 10.1 on an Intel P4 server platform with SATA drives.

I created a RAID 1 in the BIOS but the SUSE installation is able the see the 2 drives. Since it's a RAID 1 shouldn't it see only 1 drive?

Is this normal with linux or is the RAID not working?
Did you check the Hardware compatibilty list to make sure SuSE 10.1 has the drivers for your RAID controller.
I am assuming it is a onboard controller. If so there might not be a driver for Linux so it will not recognize your setup.
Another thing: onboard Raid controllers are not exactly Hardware Raid controllers.
I advise you to buy a real SATAII 3Ware 9550 class RAID controller.
Kernel 2.6.14 and latter already have the driver support. ( SuSE 10.1 is kernel 2.6.16 I installed one with no problem! Works like a charm.)

Regards,
Pedro

4.000.000.000 + years and No one -----> NO ONE <------ ... complained about Pluto's orbit excentricity or tilt (non-equatorial orbit ) ... and after all this time a bunch of guys with nothing to do decide Pluto is not a Planet !!!
Something is really wrong on This Planet ...
4.000.000.000 + years and No one -----> NO ONE <------ ... complained about Pluto's orbit excentricity or tilt (non-equatorial orbit ) ... and after all this time a bunch of guys with nothing to do decide Pluto is not a Planet !!!
Something is really wrong on This Planet ...

Fight Microsoftism --> PLUTO _IS_ A PLANET !!!
Old 28th August 2006, 19:09

Thx for the reply.

I was reading about RAID controllers and like you said, linux sees onboard RAIDs as software RAID or fake RAIDs, so it looks like it wasn't a driver problem.

My distributors don't carry 3ware but instead i'll get the Adaptec Serial ATA II RAID 2420SA which is included in the latest Kernel.