Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 3 > ISPConfig 3 Priority Support

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 8th July 2013, 15:49
HowtoForge Supporter

Exclamation ISPconfig 3 - Mirror System / Two Server Setup !?!

Hi,

I've been running ISPconfig 3 "Single Server System" on a Ubuntu Server 12.04.2 for some time now.. But now I would like to get some security and efficiency, therefore I have invested in a new RACK system with 2 identical servers which I would like to use as ISPconfig Servers, 1 "primary" and 1 as a "backup server" - so that if one server fails, another takes over, but....
I've been reading in the manual about: "3.3 Mirror Setup" and "3.3.1.1 Setting Up The Two Base Systems"... This made me wonder how to do this the right way.
Regarding "The Mirror Setup" we are told:
"...In a mirror setup, ISPConfig will copy just the configuration (web site configuration, email configuration, etc.) from
the master to the mirror (i.e., not any web site contents, etc.).."

What is the advantage of this? Isn't suppose to be able to "take over" if a server/the primary server fails? If not, then how do I setup a system that does this? You are talking about rsync/GlusterFS but if I don't know these programs and how to set it up, then what do I do? Is this the right thing to do?:
3.3.1 Installing A Web, Email And MySQL Database Cluster On
Debian 6.0 With ISPConfig 3

If, do you have a tutorial for Ubuntu Server 12.04.2 ??? I know that Ubuntu is based on Debian but still, there usually is a tutotial for Ubuntu systems

What about the IP numbers? I know we will just create another static IP address for the second server, but how will "the second server" "take over" when the WAN/Fixed IP is pointed at the primary server's local IP address.
For the time being I am only using one WAN/Fixed IP-address for my system, but because I changed from a private to a business Internet solution I know it's possibel to get some more public IP addresses - But these I have to apply for, so this is something that will take some time. If it is possibel to do it with the one public IP I have it would be great.
I do have something the ISP call's for "LAN IP-number" 2 extra addresses to use, which points at the WAN !?!?!? Example: My WAN/fixed IP is: 66.160.133.14 - The "LAN-adresses" is: 66.160.134.101-66.160.134.102 (66.160.134.100/34)
I'm not that great when it comes to handling multiple IPnumbers in the same system/the same router. Not when its regarding IPnumbers on the public side.... Please help me..

Looking forward to hear from you

__________________________________________________ _______
Fixed IP/WAN
DMZ -> "ispserverip"
Primary NameServer -> ns1.myprimarynameserver.tld
Secondary NameServer -> ns2.somedomainservice.tld

Ubuntu Server 12.04.4
ISPconfig 3 v.3.0.5.2 (Single Server Setup)
NameServer: BIND v.9.8.1-P1
SquirrelMail: v.1.4.22
MailServer: PostFix v.2.9.6 - IMAP/POP3 Dovecot v.2.0.19
Database: MySQL Server v.5.5.29-0ubuntu0.12.04.2
Tutorial: "ThePerfectServer-ISPconfig3-Ubuntu12.04"
Sponsored Links
Old 8th July 2013, 19:16
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,205 Times in 4,081 Posts

I recommend to use undison for the filesystem sync as its described in the mirror guide of the manual and not glusterfs. Glusterfs gets really slwo when you have a lot of small files like it is common for web servers. We had a old setup that used glusterfs but the performance was bad so the new guide that is part of the current manual uses unison.

Quote:
What is the advantage of this?
It enables you to run all kind or mirror setups like hot standby systems or loadbalancing.

Quote:
Isn't suppose to be able to "take over" if a server/the primary server fails?
No, there is specific software for IP switching in hot standby setups which you can use together with ispconfig like haproxy.

Quote:
If, do you have a tutorial for Ubuntu Server 12.04.2 ??? I know that Ubuntu is based on Debian but still, there usually is a tutotial for Ubuntu systems
The cluster guide exists only for Debian 6, but the ubuntu setup should be quite similar. Just the mysql configuration has changes in mysql 5.5 as far as I know.
Old 8th July 2013, 23:47
HowtoForge Supporter

Exclamation Local IP / public IP

Hi Till,

Thanks for your reply!

1. Regarding IPnumbers, local and public - I have a fixed IP/WAN - and local ip numbers behind the router 192.168.x.x as shown in the Manual:

Master Server
Hostname: server1.example.tld
IP-address: 192.168.0.105
Slave server
Hostname: server2.example.tld
IP-address: 192.168.0.106

Right now I'm using DMZ --> ISPconfig server - so will this setup work with "The Two Server System/Mirror Setup"? Will I have to setup my router in another way?

2. What about the ISPconfig 3 App / Monitor tool... Can I still use this?

3. In the manual we are told to follow steps 1-8 regarding the tutorial "ISPconfig 3 debian squeeze with bind and dovecot ispconfig 3"

To install the clustered setup, we need two servers with a Debian 6.0 minimal install. The base setup is described
in the following tutorial in the steps 1 - 8:
http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-se...ot-ispconfig-3
Install only steps 1 - 8 of the perfect server tutorial and not the other steps as they differ for a clustered setup!

Can I use the tutorial "ThePerfectServer-ISPconfig3-Ubuntu12.04 - dovecot and bind" for those first 8 steps* ?
*= "Step 9 Change The Default Shell" in this tutorial...

Sorry for these newbie questions - this isn't anything I tried before.. Sorry..

Fixed IP/WAN
DMZ -> "ispserverip"

Ubuntu Server 12.04.4

Last edited by danhansen@denmark; 9th July 2013 at 00:24.
Old 9th July 2013, 10:13
Super Moderator

1) Thats ok, the servers have to use local IP addresses if they are behind a NAT router. If your server is behind a router anyway, then a good way to make the failover switching is to change just the IP in the router were the services are forwarded to from server 1 to server 2.

2) Yes.

3) Yes.
Old 11th July 2013, 05:23
HowtoForge Supporter

Exclamation Two Server System - FailOver - Forwarding Server1 to Server2

Hi Till,

Thanks for your reply!

Yes, I'm behind a router/NAT and using DMZ for the "ISPconfig 3 Single Server System" I've been using uptil now.

But this restricts me to use only 1 server and if I'm setting up the new system "ISPconfig 3 Two Server System" I'll guess I have to use more than one. My router is a D-Link DIR-655 and it has this function - Could I use this do you think?:

Virtual Server
The Virtual Server option allows you to define a single public port on your router for redirection to an internal LAN IP Address and Private LAN port if required. This feature is useful for hosting online services such as FTP or Web Servers.

Then you are talking about "...make the failover switching is to change just the IP in the router were the services are forwarded to from server 1 to server 2.."

I'm not quite sure here.. "FailOver" function I have noticed in a "3G Router" which I'm using another place but not in the D-Link Router which I'm using here in the office.

Isn't the "Two Server System" suppose to "make the switch" themsleves if one server fails? Or, is it something that will have to be setup in the router?

Perhaps it's me totally misunderstanding what you mean and I'm sorry for that - but please "take baby-steps" regarding this problem

Thanks for helping me here

Fixed IP/WAN
DMZ -> "ispserverip"

Ubuntu Server 12.04.4
Old 11th July 2013, 12:10
Super Moderator

Quote:
But this restricts me to use only 1 server and if I'm setting up the new system "ISPconfig 3 Two Server System" I'll guess I have to use more than one. My router is a D-Link DIR-655 and it has this function - Could I use this do you think?:
The servers use internal IP addresses, if you use a 255 subnet then you have plenty of internal addresses. In case of a failure,you just change the forwarding in your router from the first server to the second one.

Quote:
I'm not quite sure here.. "FailOver" function I have noticed in a "3G Router" which I'm using another place but not in the D-Link Router which I'm using here in the office.
Thats something different. A failover in a 3g router means that it can use a second uplink over a different media to connect to the internet.

Quote:
Isn't the "Two Server System" suppose to "make the switch" themsleves if one server fails?
No, that not the way the setup works. The purpose of the setup is to mirror the configuration and data of servers in a way that you can use them as hot standby systems or as load balanced systems.

If you switch the IP by binding a virtual IP to the network cards or switch it n your router or use a load balancer is up to you, its all possibl with that setup.
Old 11th July 2013, 20:05
HowtoForge Supporter

Exclamation Step 10 Disable AppArmor" and then some ;)

Hi Till,

Agagin, thanks for your reply...

To setup the "Two Server System" I'll have to follow step 1-8 in the debian tutorial, but in the ubuntu tutorial "The Perfect Server....." there's another step which I'll guess needs to be done as well - "Step 10 Disable AppArmor". Do I do this as well?

Quote:
Isn't the "Two Server System" suppose to "make the switch" themsleves if one server fails?

No, that not the way the setup works. The purpose of the setup is to mirror the configuration and data of servers in a way that you can use them as hot standby systems or as load balanced systems.
If you switch the IP by binding a virtual IP to the network cards or switch it n your router or use a load balancer is up to you, its all possibl with that setup.

"Binding a virtual IP to the network cards...", "Use a load balancer..." Please define this. Which is the better way? To Switch it in the router is pretty easy, but you'll have to be where the servers are to do it...

Quote:

The servers use internal IP addresses, if you use a 255 subnet then you have plenty of internal addresses. In case of a failure,you just change the forwarding in your router from the first server to the second one.

Sorry about this, it's just because I'm working on setting up a system that is able to handle more than 1 public/external IP - a class* of 8 or 16 IP's I hope to be awarded 16 IP's from my ISP. I'm just not sure about my router, if it is able to handle multiple public IP's... So, sorry about that question.

Fixed IP/WAN
DMZ -> "ispserverip"

Ubuntu Server 12.04.4
Old 12th July 2013, 12:29
Super Moderator

1) yes.
2) This is a wide field and nothing that can be explained in a post here. The solution to switch the IP in your router is most likely the easiest way for you. Running and configuring a load balancer setup or virtual IP switch setup is not that easy and more more a topic for advanced linux administrators, if its not done right then you might decrease reliability and not increase it as these are additional components which might fail.

If you want to try such a loadbalancer setup then you can e.g. take alook at this guide:

http://www.howtoforge.com/setting-up...on-debian-etch

Quote:
Sorry about this, it's just because I'm working on setting up a system that is able to handle more than 1 public/external IP - a class* of 8 or 16 IP's I hope to be awarded 16 IP's from my ISP. I'm just not sure about my router, if it is able to handle multiple public IP's... So, sorry about that question.
Ok, no need to say sorry The best option might be to contact the support of the router vendor and ask them if your router can handle multiple IP addresses. If it can handle this, then you have to assign each external IP to a internal IP address. Your servers will use the internal IP's then.
Old 17th July 2013, 01:13
HowtoForge Supporter

Thumbs up Got it!!! Thanks....

Hi Till,

Regarding 1. and 2. Thanks a lot!!! Now I see! Get it!!!

And after you explained things about my question number 3, I suddenly remembered everything from 10 years back where I hosted clients myself on a mix of IIS servers and SUSE Linux NameServers.. So thank you for that. Now I now exactly what to do!!!

Thanks...

NB! I've got a HowToForge Subscription,,,,doesn't this give me the right to view the tutorial "ISPconfig3-Ubuntu-12.04......." as a PDF??? Just tried to "view as PDF" but was directed to the subscription site!?!

Fixed IP/WAN
DMZ -> "ispserverip"

Ubuntu Server 12.04.4

Last edited by danhansen@denmark; 17th July 2013 at 01:21.
Old 17th July 2013, 08:55
Super Moderator

Quote:
NB! I've got a HowToForge Subscription,,,,doesn't this give me the right to view the tutorial "ISPconfig3-Ubuntu-12.04......." as a PDF??? Just tried to "view as PDF" but was directed to the subscription site!?!
Yes, you can view all guides as PDF. I just tested it with this link:

http://www.howtoforge.com/pdfview/view/6798

and it woked for me. Maybe your browser rejected a cookie from howtoforge so the pdf generator did not recognized that you are logged in and subscriber.