Old 11th June 2009, 12:14

Question Webmail on ISPConfig 3

Since I am still in my pre-installation phase for my new rootserver, I was just wondering, which webmail app would fit best for my planned ISPConfig 3 setup.

There are quite some projects around, from which AtMail, SquirrelMail, RoundCube and IlohaMail seem to be some popular ones. On first sight I find AtMail the most attractive one.

Is there a recommended webmail app for ISPConfig 3?
In what way do the install instructions differ from old documents for ISPConfig 2 (as found at the bottom here)?

I remember to have stumbled over an extension for ISPConfig 3, which automatically enabled the access to the webmail app through any hosted domain, so that the webmail app only needs to be installed once on the server, and not in each client's webspace individually (if the clients are comfortable by using the choosen webmail app by the server administrator), but I don't remember the details any more. I think this is what I like, so having

webmail.exampledomain1.tld
webmail.exampledomain2.tld
webmail.exampledomain2.tld

all just leading to the chosen webmail app. Is this reasonable? And how to do it the easy way?
Sponsored Links
Old 11th June 2009, 18:54
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,320 Times in 4,173 Posts

1) Create a website.
2) Install a webmail application of your choce in it.
3) add webmail.exampledomain1.tld, webmail.exampledomain2.tld, webmail.exampledomain3.tld as aliases to this website.
Old 22nd June 2009, 08:29

Hello, I'm looking for the same setup, I found this post on another thread on this forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastgrav View Post
Hi,

add the following lines in /etc/apache2/conf.d/apache2-doc

Alias /webmail /usr/share/squirrelmail/

<Directory "/usr/share/squirrelmail/">
Options Indexes FollowSymlinks
AllowOverride None
Order allow,deny
Allow from all
AddDefaultCharset off
</Directory>

and every virtual domain will have a www.virt-domain.com/webmail

Andrei
I will try this setup later but I'm not sure I understand what document to edit when he says "add the following lines in /etc/apache2/conf.d/apache2-doc" since that sounds like a debian/ubuntu based install and I run CentOS5.X.

I do however think that I can basically copy and edit the phpmyadmin.conf and make it work to redirect to atmail directory.

Cheers
Old 22nd June 2009, 09:17

Interesting, please let me know how this worked out for you by posting in this thread.
Old 22nd June 2009, 11:37
Super Moderator

This works only for websites with mod_php enabled or php-cgi or php-fcgi without suexec enabled. For all other websites it wont work and is a security risk as it returns the sourcecode of phpmyadmin adn if you stored any passwords there, they will be returned in cleartext too. Thats why we did not implement it like this.
Old 18th March 2010, 22:57

I'm also looking for the same setup. If the suggestion above represented a security risk, what do you advise? Install a webmail directory for each client individually?

Thank you.
Old 19th March 2010, 09:43
Super Moderator

See my post #2 in this thread. You create just one website under your domain, as you are the hosting provider and not a website for every client.
Old 20th March 2010, 04:43

I show you my setup.. maybe can help..

1) I've installed my custom webmail (modded roudcube) into /var/www/webmail folder .. in the same way you can put there your preferred webmail (or sym-link to your distro-packaged one).

2) When you create dns records for the specific domain (also work with a template system) put a webmail.<domain> cname pointer to your <domain>

3) Don't add any aliases in 'site' ISPConfig3 configuration for webmail.<domain>

Result: every http://webmail.<domain>/webmail will show your (custom) webmail and this setup is ISPConfig/Distro/Webmail-package upgrade-proof :-)

For 'perfect integration maniac' you can customize your /var/www/index.html to auto-redirect to '/webmail/' subfolder ..so http://webmail.<domain> ..or, as alternative, you can put a 'webmail' button to the subfolder.

I've done this "way-setup" for webmail, phpmyadmin and other tools ..and in the /var/www/index.html i've customized a sort of 'tools panel' ..it's very usefull for me ..maybe it can be usefull for you :-)

Bye..

bajodel.

Last edited by bajodel; 20th March 2010 at 04:46.
Old 6th June 2013, 09:27

Default Solved!

Disabling suPHP did the trick for my setup. Thank you very much!