Old 30th May 2013, 04:40

Default Issues with multiple domains

I have recently got my web server set up, It's running Debian 7.0 x64 with the latest ISPConfig and nginx. I managed to get it all working with one domain, but when I attempted to add the clients domain, my own domain will now only show the content of the newest domain.

I am using digital ocean to manage the DNS settings, I understood what I read, I shouldn't have to set up DNS within ISPconfig if I manage it elsewhere (?)

I also have attempted to set up Wordpress on said server, but it's just giving me a Error 500, and all I've done is upload a blank Wordpress installation.

I have no real idea what I'm doing, so any suggestions would be helpful!
Sponsored Links
Old 30th May 2013, 05:37

Have you added any IP-addresses in 'System -> IP adresses' and if so, have you choosen one of those IP-addresses or '*' in your Web Domain settings for your domains?

When you're using an external DNS service for your domains, any DNS records for those domains in ISPConfig will not have any effect.

What's the output of /var/www/YourWordpressDomain/log/error.log ?
Old 30th May 2013, 10:36
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,609 Times in 4,420 Posts

Quote:
I also have attempted to set up Wordpress on said server, but it's just giving me a Error 500, and all I've done is upload a blank Wordpress installation.
Maybe the file have the wrong owner if you uploaded them as root user. see error.log of the website for details.
Old 30th May 2013, 11:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by bch View Post
Have you added any IP-addresses in 'System -> IP adresses' and if so, have you choosen one of those IP-addresses or '*' in your Web Domain settings for your domains?

When you're using an external DNS service for your domains, any DNS records for those domains in ISPConfig will not have any effect.

What's the output of /var/www/YourWordpressDomain/log/error.log ?
Currently, I have no IP addresses and am using *, I have also tried using the IP address to no avail.

Does it matter about using the external DNS settings, or is that part of the reason the domains are not correctly pointing to their own directories?

Quote:
Originally Posted by till View Post
Maybe the file have the wrong owner if you uploaded them as root user. see error.log of the website for details.
I uploaded them using an FTP user for the site in question.

And this is from the error.log

Code:
2013/05/30 08:36:02 [error] 5920#0: *168 FastCGI sent in stderr: "PHP message: PHP Warning:  file_exists(): open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/var/www/clients/client1/web3/wp-config.php) is not within the allowed path(s): (/var/www/clients/client1/web3/web:/var/www/clients/client1/web3/private:/var/www/clients/client1/web3/tmp:/var/www/420headshop.co.uk/web:/srv/www/420headshop.co.uk/web:/usr/share/php5:/usr/share/php:/tmp:/usr/share/phpmyadmin:/etc/phpmyadmin:/var/lib/phpmyadmin:/usr/share/php) in /var/www/clients/client1/web3/web/wp-load.php on line 31" while reading response header from upstream, client: 94.12.234.163, server: 420headshop.co.uk, request: "GET / HTTP/1.1", upstream: "fastcgi://127.0.0.1:9012", host: "parahost.co.uk"
Old 30th May 2013, 12:02

The fix for me, to get a website working with multiple domain names, was to add more entries in the config file /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/sitename, under server_name
Old 30th May 2013, 12:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph1L View Post
The fix for me, to get a website working with multiple domain names, was to add more entries in the config file /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/sitename, under server_name
I'm guessing you mean to have one website with multiple domains? That's the opposite of the issue I have. I need multiple sites, multiple domains, but no matter what domain I go to on my server, it displays the directory associated with whatever domain was set up most recently.

for example:
If I go to: www.domain1.com > It shows the files for www.domain2.com
If I go to: www.domain2.com > It shows the files for www.domain2.com
Even if I go to the IP Address of the server, I see the files for www.domain2.com

I am baffled.
Old 30th May 2013, 12:34

You have to setup a client for each domain
Old 30th May 2013, 12:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph1L View Post
You have to setup a client for each domain
Really? That doesn't sound right, surely a client should be able to have two websites of their own on separate domains.
And do I need to set up a client for the host site? As there is no client for that one.
Old 30th May 2013, 13:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by SudoCat View Post
Really? That doesn't sound right, surely a client should be able to have two websites of their own on separate domains.
And do I need to set up a client for the host site? As there is no client for that one.
Okay, I've got a bit closer to fixing it. I now have nginx vhosts correctly set up, it required me to change my nginx.conf to include:
Code:
server_names_hash_bucket_size: 64
I also had to change my vhosts file for the site from
Code:
       root   /var/www/420headshop.co.uk/web;

index index.html index.htm index.php index.cgi index.pl index.xhtml;
to
Code:
        location / {
                root /var/www/420headshop.co.uk/web;
                index index.html index.htm index.php;
        }
Is this an issue with ISPconfig3 and nginx?