Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > Server Operation

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 18th May 2013, 09:52

Default Strange Nameserver Problem

Hello to all *NIX gurus

I'm having strange problem with my new dns server i'm trying to setup.
I've installed a debian box with minimal apps (made to be a small backup web server).
The BIND nameserver does not give any errors and is replying correctly for the zone. The domain i'm trying to create a nameserver for is phps.biz. I've registered a nameserver ns.phps.biz with IP 77.78.13.230 through my domain registar.
Nameserver status via public data server http://reports.internic.net/cgi/whoi...ype=nameserver seems to be ok.
So INTERNIC says there is a nameserver at ns.phps.biz with the correct IP address, but all other places i'm trying to access phps.biz or trying to resolve ns.phps.biz says that there is no SUCH domain name (NXDOMAIN).
Forgot to mension that i'm behind a NAT router with port 53 forwarded to my machine.
When i query the nameserver from my other box (outside the LAN with the router) it works fine.
[~]$ nslookup ns.phps.biz 77.78.13.230
Server: 77.78.13.230
Address: 77.78.13.230#53
Name: ns.phps.biz
Address: 77.78.13.230
But when i query the public name servers they say: ** server can't find ns.phps.biz: NXDOMAIN.
So INTERNIC says OK, my BIND says OK, but other dns servers says FAIL.
I don't know what to fix as i can't find any error in logs or else. No error - but still does not work.
I can provide the configs, but the server seems to respond fine to all my requests.
What do you think guys? Where is the problem?

Last edited by phreedom; 18th May 2013 at 09:55.
Sponsored Links