Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 3 > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 10th May 2013, 04:58

Default Postfix fails to start: virtual_mailbox_limit_maps

I am using ispconfig 3.0.5.2/ubuntu 13.04/Postfix/dovecot and i am getting the following error when postfix is trying to start.

Quote:
Failed to start Postfix : /usr/sbin/postconf: warning: /etc/postfix/main.cf: undefined parameter: virtual_mailbox_limit_maps
If i comment out/delete $virtual_mailbox_limit_maps from /etc/postfix/main.cf everything works fine.

proxy_read_maps = $local_recipient_maps $mydestination $virtual_alias_maps $virtual_alias_domains $virtual_mailbox_maps $virtual_mailbox_domains $relay_recipient_maps $relay_domains $canonical_maps $sender_canonical_maps $recipient_canonical_maps $relocated_maps $transport_maps $mynetworks $virtual_mailbox_limit_maps

Will this cause any problems ?

I also notices in the perfect server howto guide (http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-se...ispconfig-3-p6) that it has this error when installing ispconfig:

postconf: warning: /etc/postfix/main.cf: undefined parameter: virtual_mailbox_limit_maps
/usr/sbin/postconf: warning: /etc/postfix/main.cf: undefined parameter: virtual_mailbox_limit_maps

Last edited by tahunasky; 10th May 2013 at 05:01.
Sponsored Links
Old 22nd October 2013, 17:19

Default Typo in /etc/postfix/main.cf

I know this reply is late, but other people may search for it (I did).

The cause of the problem seems to be a typo in /etc/postfix/main.cf. If you edit this file you'll see the following on about line 60:

Code:
proxy_read_maps = $local_recipient_maps $mydestination $virtual_alias_maps $virtual_alias_domains $virtual_mailbox_maps $virtual_mailbox_domains $relay_recipient_maps $relay_domains $canonical_maps $sender_canonical_maps $recipient_canonical_maps $relocated_maps $transport_maps $mynetworks $virtual_mailbox_limit_maps
There is an extra word "limit" in "$virtual_mailbox_limit_maps". Change this to "$virtual_mailbox_maps":

Code:
proxy_read_maps = $local_recipient_maps $mydestination $virtual_alias_maps $virtual_alias_domains $virtual_mailbox_maps $virtual_mailbox_domains $relay_recipient_maps $relay_domains $canonical_maps $sender_canonical_maps $recipient_canonical_maps $relocated_maps $transport_maps $mynetworks $virtual_mailbox_maps
The restart Postfix:

Code:
/etc/init.d/postfix restart

Last edited by ryal001; 22nd October 2013 at 17:25.
Old 4th November 2013, 00:00

Default undefined parameter: virtual_mailbox_limit_maps

I don't think removing 'limit' is actually a fix because you now have $virtual_mailbox_maps it in there twice:

Code:
proxy_read_maps = $local_recipient_maps $mydestination $virtual_alias_maps $virtual_alias_domains $virtual_mailbox_maps $virtual_mailbox_domains $relay_recipient_maps $relay_domains $canonical_maps $sender_canonical_maps $recipient_canonical_maps $relocated_maps $transport_maps $mynetworks $virtual_mailbox_maps
Maybe we can get one of the ISPConfig devs to reply.
Old 4th November 2013, 01:47

You're right, I didn't notice the term was there earlier in the list. It does make the error go away, in the same way as the original poster achieved by deleting the whole word, but it doesn’t address what the problem actually is (and may cause other problems).