Old 17th April 2013, 17:14
Super Moderator

Thanked 4,983 Times in 3,903 Posts
Default About this forum

The ISPConfig priority support forum is a dedicated forum for Howtoforge subscribers. With a Howtoforge subscription you support the ISPConfig development.

The ISPConfig developers will try to answer posts in this forum with higher priority.

Please see here for detailed information on the howtoforge subscription and how to become a subscriber.

http://www.howtoforge.com/subscription

For ISPConfig Enterprise support options like email, phone and remote login support please see ISPConfig support page:

http://www.ispconfig.org/support/
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to till For This Useful Post:
danhansen@denmark (22nd April 2013), dgeho1 (6th December 2013), Nicram (10th January 2014), SupuS (14th December 2013)
Sponsored Links
Old 25th April 2013, 04:08
HowtoForge Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by till View Post
For ISPConfig Enterprise support options like email, phone and remote login support please see ISPConfig support page:

http://www.ispconfig.org/support/
I don't see anything about phone support on there. I also don't see anything about remote login support per se.

I have a question about the following:
Quote:
ISPConfig Remote Installation Support

Installation of ISPConfig 3 on Debian or Ubuntu Linux on a single server by the ISPConfig Developers.

Price: € 79,00
I would be willing to pay for a "WORKING" installation on CentOS 6.4. It appears that you DO NOT support CentOS installations by reading the above statement. Is this true? It also does not indicate whether I will be provided with a WORKING installation of ISPConfig. It seems pretty silly for me to pay for an installation that doesn't work. I only need to have the APS Installer work right. Everything else, I can get working fine.

I guess I am also asking if the remote installation is guaranteed? I don't want to pay for an installation where everything works except the APS Installer. If the APS Installer doesn't work, then the installation is useless to me and doesn't deserve payment.
Old 25th April 2013, 11:56
Super Moderator

Quote:
I don't see anything about phone support on there. I also don't see anything about remote login support per se.
The page decribes how and were to contact us for additional support options. We send out this information regularily when we get contacted trough the ticket system or by email orphone Please let me know by pm when you contacted us and which email address you used so I can lookup the support thread and see why you did not recievd the support options and pricelist.

Quote:
I would be willing to pay for a "WORKING" installation on CentOS 6.4. It appears that you DO NOT support CentOS installations by reading the above statement. Is this true? It also does not indicate whether I will be provided with a WORKING installation of ISPConfig. It seems pretty silly for me to pay for an installation that doesn't work. I only need to have the APS Installer work right. Everything else, I can get working fine.
Off course its a working installation that we do. If you buy a new car then there is no label on it thats really a working car so why shall we put a label on the installation support that we are talking here about working installations.

We sell you a correct installation of ispconfig. What we sell is the installation service and not the software ispconfig. So when you pay us then you pay for the time that we work on your server to install ispconfig and not for the software ispconfig that we install or any specific function in it. What we can ensure that we do our installation job correctly, but it might happen that a specific function in ispconfig is not working due to a bug in ispconfig. Bugfixing in ISPConfig is not covered by the installation service, bugs if they get found will be reported in the bugtracker and gets fixed in the next ispconfig update. If you buy a installation service from another company, it does not matter if its a paid software like Plesk, Directadmin, MS Windows or open source, then the company that installs it will not guranatee you that the software they install is bug free as well.

Regarding the APS installer on Centos 6.4, I have a perfect server vm from Centos 6.3. here and the APS installer works fine. There are no bugreports about aps installer on centos 6.4 in the bugtracker, so I expect that it works on centos 6.4 as well.

Quote:
It appears that you DO NOT support CentOS installations by reading the above statement. Is this true?
We know from our daily work that ISPConfig centos installations are quite unstable in the long term due to package conflicts and issues were yum overwrites config files. Centos has very few packages in its main repository and the other packages have to be downloaded from several external repos which sometimes contain conflicting libraries. We dont want to sell our customers a installation on a system that we know is unstable in the long run even if it works fine right after we installed it.

If you confirm us that you are aware of the issues with centos and you dont care on the long time stability regarding packages conflicts on centos updates and overwritten config files after centos updates of your system, then we can install ispconfig for you on centos as well.
Old 26th April 2013, 04:15
HowtoForge Supporter

Thank you for your response.

I support you guys. I enjoy using your software and will continue to support you financially and by word-of-mouth. In my opinion, you are exceptional at what you are doing. It's still important to realize that just because you are exceptional, it doesn't mean you can't improve. In my opinion you guys could improve on customer relations by taking what the customer says and using it to make your company even better, instead of trying to defend yourself.

Your analogies are not only incorrect, but they are also quite bizarre. However, in the end you answered the questions that I wanted answered. You do not guarantee that the installation will work (because there may be problems beyond your control), and you don't support CentOS, but you will install on it.

First, EVERY car that I have ever bought or sold (approximately 2,000) has always had a label on it guaranteeing that it will work and for how long. Sometimes, it is a 10 year guarantee, sometimes 30 days, or even sometimes an as is guarantee. Any normal sane person would want to know, before the sale takes place, if the car is guaranteed to work and for how long. The same should apply to purchasing a software installation. Second, we must recognize that the person selling the car is not the entity that manufactured the car. That's quite the opposite of your situation. Then, even though the person selling the car didn't make the car, they will still stand by the guarantee just as strongly as the people who made the car, and will help you resolve any issues you have with your guarantee.

Quote:
it does not matter if its a paid software like Plesk, Directadmin, MS Windows or open source, then the company that installs it will not guarantee you that the software they install is bug free as well.
Of course they won't guarantee the software to be free from bugs. However, they do guarantee that the software will work at the time of installation, even though they are not the people who made the software. I once got a refund from one of the largest, if not the largest, company in the world that installs Plesk, because it didn't work correctly. It was explained to me that they had never witnessed the malfunction that was occurring and offered me a refund or another installation. The same should apply to your software installations.

If I bought a software installation from you, and you discovered during the installation that my ISP blocks port 21, I would expect you to live up to your guarantee that your software installation will work. This might include any number of actions. Maybe you could setup FTP on an alternative port instead. If you ran into a problem, which is beyond your control and beyond my control, that prevented the software you are installing from working correctly, then I wouldn't expect to have to pay for the installation of the product that doesn't work as expected.

Quote:
The page decribes how and were to contact us for additional support options.
There is an email address link to a separate page that appears to let you submit a ticket. I never stated that it didn't give you a link to another page that might give you more information. I stated that the information that you are saying that is on the page is not on the page that you are saying that it is on. If the information is on a different page, then give that page link and state the information is on that page instead of the page that the information is not on. There is absolutely nothing about getting phone support on the page that you stated it was on.

Thank you for all of your hard work and effort that you have put into this project. I will continue to support you guys in whatever way that I am able.
Old 26th April 2013, 10:00
Super Moderator

Quote:
I support you guys. I enjoy using your software and will continue to support you financially and by word-of-mouth. In my opinion, you are exceptional at what you are doing. It's still important to realize that just because you are exceptional, it doesn't mean you can't improve. In my opinion you guys could improve on customer relations by taking what the customer says and using it to make your company even better, instead of trying to defend yourself.
Thank you for your feedback. We alwyas try to improve our customer relations and a new website which lists all additional support options will be online soon.

Quote:
If I bought a software installation from you, and you discovered during the installation that my ISP blocks port 21, I would expect you to live up to your guarantee that your software installation will work.
If we discover that your server is not suitable to install ispconfig then you will get a refund of course. You will have to pay only when we completed the installation.

Quote:
This might include any number of actions. Maybe you could setup FTP on an alternative port instead.
Sure, thats what we would do in such a case.

Quote:
Of course they won't guarantee the software to be free from bugs. However, they do guarantee that the software will work at the time of installation, even though they are not the people who made the software. I once got a refund from one of the largest, if not the largest, company in the world that installs Plesk, because it didn't work correctly. It was explained to me that they had never witnessed the malfunction that was occurring and offered me a refund or another installation. The same should apply to your software installations.
And we can not guarantee for a bugree software as well, we can only guarantee that the service we do is correct and off course the software that we installed will work. ISPConfig has hundreds of functions and there can always be a bug in a specific function of a release.

Example:

If function x works on Centos 6.4 in general but it dont work in your install that we installed for you and we are not able to get it working then you will get a refund as thats a issue with the installation we did and not a general bug.

If function x does not work because it is only available on e.g. debian and you requested a centos install against our recommendation or its a bug in a specific ispconfig revision, then we wont refund it as we can not guarantee a bug free software. Such a bug will get reported to the bugtracker then and will get fixed in the next ispconfig revison which can be simply installed with the "ispconfig:update.sh" command.

Btw. our company exists for more then 10 years now and we do installations daily, we had not single refund request for a installation yet, so you can expect that we know what we are doing.