Old 20th April 2013, 12:03

Default Vm or dedicated

I'm likely to move a server from the data centre to my home office as I'm fortunate enough to have fast connection to the Internet.

Generally what is the preferred option;
A dedicated server
A vm?

The only preference I can think is that the vm would allow for easy snap shots should anything go wrong.
Sponsored Links
Old 20th April 2013, 15:51
HowtoForge Supporter

Hi Toucan,

From my experience I believe running virtual nodes has great benefits over running just a hardware node, but it depends on your long term goals.

Benefits of running a single hardware node:
- Processes have access to all system resources
- Only configuration of the hardware node is required

Benefits of running one or more virtual nodes on one hardware node:
- Can access all system resources allocated to it
- Resources can easily be adjusted to accomodate new server expansion
- Easy to backup
- Easy to restore
- Hardware node crashes, easy to move to another server within a short period of time

I'm sure there are more, but that's a start. I use CentOS on my hardware node with OpenVZ. Once Falko pointed me to vzsplit, it was trivial to configure the virtual nodes. I run Debian Squeeze on the virtual nodes, and everything runs great! Before, I tried using squeeze with bean counters on the hardware node. What a pain... It was difficult to configure. Now, I just use swappages and physpages, which makes a lot more sense.

I hope this helps generate more ideas on your decision.

Darin
The Following User Says Thank You to darinpeterson For This Useful Post:
Toucan (27th April 2013)
Old 20th April 2013, 18:10

Agree with Darin's answer. I'd never use non-VM setups unless there is a total need for it (no idea what this could be).
The Following User Says Thank You to MaddinXx For This Useful Post:
Toucan (27th April 2013)
Old 21st April 2013, 02:07

Thank you both. I can definately see the advantages. There's definately times I wish I could have returned to a snapshot of the week before.

I only have one external ip, so I assume I'd use that for the machine and an internal ip for the host machine?

I think it's time I looked up some tutorials and start experimenting!
Old 18th October 2013, 01:08

This week was the week I was grateful for you advice so many months ago. Although blessed with a blistering fast internet connection, my hardware has it's limitations.

Having realised something was going horribly wrong with the server hardware, I stopped the VM, exported it to my laptop cloning the same mac addresses and had it up and running within a very short time.

I took out the offending memory from the server, had it back up and running during the night and reinstated the original machine.

AND NOBODY KNEW ANY DIFFERENT!

yes... if I was being very cool could have used teleport to absolutely minimise down time; but this method was good enough.

Let this be a lesson to all!

I run a hardware host node of ubuntu headless with virtualbox, with two debian squeeze vms - one as the master ispconfig interface and billing module, and the other as the slave web server.

thank you for the advice!