Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > HOWTO-Related Questions

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 19th April 2013, 21:06

Default How can I start Linux and what distribution do you think I should use?

I want to use Linux because I have heard that it is significantly better than IE. My entire family is technologically inept and we only have one computer. How do you think I should start and what distribution do you recommend for a beginner who plans on programming and the like?Any helpful suggestions will be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old 20th April 2013, 16:13
HowtoForge Supporter

Hi greentwo2,

Choosing a distribution on Linux is somewhat of a personal preference. Linux is actually an operating system, where IE (Internet Explorer) is a web browser. The cool thing is that Google Chrome is available in beta form for Linux, which I believe is much better than IE.

As you can see from the options, there are many distributions: CentOS, Debian, Fedora, SuSE, and Ubuntu being the primary distributions for desktops and servers.

Distributions based on Redhat: CentOS and Fedora
Distributions based on Debian: Debian and Ubuntu
SuSE is/was a German translation of Slackware

I started using Linux Desktops in 1995 with Redhat 5, and experimented with Slackware, Caldera, and other distributions. Caldera being my favorite, but it died. I primarily used distributions of Redhad during that time.

From 2003-2005 I started using SuSE Linux and Fedora. SuSE was great, but that distribution is now managed by Oracle, and well it's just not the same.

Over the past year I have been using Debian Squeeze/Wheezy exclusively for desktops. Recently for my servers, I switched to CentOS for server hardware nodes with Debian Squeeze virtual nodes.

Since you are new, I would encourage you to try multiple installs and decide what you like best...

Here are some you can try:
Debian Squeeze Perfect Desktop
Fedora 18 Perfect Desktop
CentOS 6 Perfect Desktop
Perfect Desktop Ubuntu

Make sure you understand whether your processor is 32-bit or 64-bit and install the appropriate operating system for your hardware. Generally you'll see AMD64 or x86_64, these are installations for 64-bit hardware.

I hope that will help you get started in your migration to Linux. Good luck! I hope you enjoy it as much as many of us do...

Darin
Old 20th April 2013, 21:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by darinpeterson View Post
[...]SuSE was great, but that distribution is now managed by Oracle, and well it's just not the same[...]
just a remark: actually SuSE is not managed by Oracle, but it was acquired by Novell.

br,
aFoP