Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 3 > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 2nd April 2013, 06:23
HowtoForge Supporter

Question New ISPconfig3 installation - what to do before creating the first client/website

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Internet Service Information:
Fast Internet Line/Used only for Internet-Servers.
Static IP
All ports opened in router --> server ip number
Primary nameserver --> ns1.mynameserver.tld
Secondary nameserver --> ns2.somedanishdomainservice.tld

System Information:
Ubuntu Server 10.04
ISPconfig 3 v.3.0.5.2
Single Server Setup (running primary nameserver)
Tutorial: The Perfect Server - ISPConfig3 - Ubuntu Server 10.04
Downloaded Manual for ISPConfig3 by Falko Timme
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

After reinstalling the server and printing/reading 373 pages of the isp manual, severel HowTo's I would like to know if there is some kind of "default" setting of ISPConfig3 - before creating the first user/website. I am thinking about the system only, not how the client, website, dns etc. is created. This is shown in the manual. What I am looking for is some "default" settings for ex. "System > Server Config > Server" and "System > Server IP Adresses" (does any IP adresses have to be created here to make a "first website" possible?) etc. etc. Which "tabs" and sections will have to be filled in/setup before a website can be created???

Please help me

Kind Regards,
Dan
Sponsored Links
Old 2nd April 2013, 12:19
Super Moderator

Thanked 4,983 Times in 3,903 Posts

All settings are ok by default, so no need to change them. Just create the client and website in ispconfig. If you want to use the IP address instead of * for the website (e.g. if you want to create a ssl website), then add the IP under System > Server IP. But that optional.
Old 4th April 2013, 01:25
HowtoForge Supporter

Question website - single server setup

Hi Till,

Thanks for your mail.

I just afsked about this in another thread. I just cant reach the client website. After the website has been created it is possible to create a ftp account and ftp to the site, but if you enter the domain in a browser you reach the admin site of the router. Not a default website for the client.

Any idea would be just great.

Kind Regards,
Dan
Old 4th April 2013, 13:47
HowtoForge Supporter

Question still no website online...

Hi Till,

System information:
Ubuntu Server 10.04
ISPconfig 3 v.3.0.5.2
Single Server Setup with primary nameserver, webserver, mailserver, sqlserver.

Still fighting the problem with access to new website. As mentioned earlier on, the client webfolder is created when the site is created in ispconfig cp. When creating a ftp account to the client/domain it's possible to ftp into the webfolder where the default html files are (default website). Kys just not possible to reach the site from a browser! Dns works! Primary nameserver works and is approved by danish domain provider (dk-hostmaster.dk)

I have been reading more than 200 pages of the downloaded manual, and I recall have been reading about the "Network configuation" utility.:
"The network configuration option is only available for Debian and Ubuntu Servers. Do not enable this option if your network interface is not eth0."
What I read was that if this optional utility was "checked/selected" ispconfig will make all of the configuration when creating ex. a website. But, default it's not "selected' - then how can it be anough creating a website from ispconfig cp? What is it that ispconfig is setting up automatic with the option selected? And therefore, this must be missing when the option "network configuration" is not selected!?! I will search the manual for it right now, it had to do with ipnumbers some of it, and it was not only gateway, nameservers etc. I'm pretty sure of! o)

Kind Regards,
Dan
Old 4th April 2013, 15:26
HowtoForge Supporter

Exclamation SOS - please help me. This may be very easy for some of you experts :)

Hi,

System information: Ubuntu Server 10.04
ISPconfig 3 v.3.0.5.2
Single Server Setup with primary nameserver, webserver, mailserver, sqlserver.

I may have made the dummest error of all times, but having been fighting nameservers and related problems for 4 days in a row, my head is full of s... !
Question: ISPconfig controlpanel > DNS > records: when creating a A-record you enter a ipnumber. Is it the public ip number ex. 178.172.188.18 or is it the local serverip ex. 192.168.1.100 ??? If it is, where Else will I have to chance from outside/public ip to local iserveripnumber?

I was reading and looking for reasons to why I cant get it to work. Has only been able to ftp locally using the serveripnumber. Cant reach websites or anything using domains. Then I found this site and I noticed that it was local ipnumbers which was used:
http://www.faqforge.com/category/lin...ls/ispconfig3/

Looking very much forward to your response.

Kind Regards,
Dan
Old 4th April 2013, 16:39

Hi Dan,

Your DNS-A records must point to your fixed, public IP address but you'll also have to enable port forwarding on your router for each service that you want to run.

Your router should have a control panel where you need to enable settings to forward incoming requests, say, on port 80 (for http) to one of your connected local IP addresses, this IP address will usually be that of the machine running ISPConfig.

So, your DNS-A records should reference your public IP address and your router should reference your local IP address.

Hope this helps?

Regards,

Rich.
The Following User Says Thank You to RSInfotech For This Useful Post:
danhansen@denmark (5th April 2013)
Old 5th April 2013, 02:09
HowtoForge Supporter

Exclamation DNS - public or local ip-numbers

Hi Rich,

Thanks for your response. Please notice that I have all the ports open, and forwardet to the server eith the local ipnumber as you describe. I even tried with all ports open and forwardet to mylocalserverip (ex. 192.168.1.200).

The problem was at first that I couldn't reach the default websites at all. Then I tried changing the ip in the dns records to mylocalserverip and then all of the websites works locally but still not from the outside. Please notice that it is the domain which is used for the nameserver I am showing here. The A-record "NS1" is a glue-record as shown in the tutorial: http://www.howtoforge.com/ispconfig_...domain_schlund

A mydomain.tld. 192.168.1.200 0 3600
A mail 192.168.1.200 0 3600
A ns1 192.168.1.200 0 86400
A www 192.168.1.200 0 3600
MX mydomain.tld. mail.mydomain.tld. 10 3600
NS mydomain.tld. ns1.mynameserver.tld. 0 3600
NS mydomain.tld. ns2.somesecondarydns.dk.0 3600

Here's proof that the sites works at last! But only locally:

Welcome to your website!
This file may be deleted or overwritten without any difficulty. This is produced........