Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 3 > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 8th April 2013, 20:10
HowtoForge Supporter

Exclamation ISPconfig App and server1.myserverdomain.tld "FQDN"

Ubuntu Server 10.04
ISPconfig 3 v.3.0.5.2
"Single Server System"
Own primary nameserver

Hi,

I bought and downloaded the ISP config App. In the setup the example of a hostname is: server1.example.com . This is of course the name of the ISPconfig server. I have seen this hostname described as a "Fully Qualified Domain Name" (FQDN) but I am notsure that my server hostname "server1.myserverdomain.tld" even works.

Please set me straight here - I've been unable to find anything other than information regarding the "token" in the ISPconfig manual

Kind Regards,
Dan
Sponsored Links
Old 10th April 2013, 02:38
HowtoForge Supporter

Hi Dan,

I don't fully understand your question. If I have registered myispserver.com, and the host name of the server I named as solo.myispserver.com, solo.myispserver.com is the Fully Qualified Domain Name (FDQN) of the server.

Am I missing something? Can you provide more detail?

If you are just trying to see if your system is accessible, that should be relatively simple to test. Also there is an ISPConfig 3 monitor for your phone that you can install and check the status of your server. This would also tell you whether it's accessible externally.

Look at the monitor app here: http://www.ispconfig.org/download/

Don't forget to go to your server System --> Main Config --> Misc and set the Monitor keyword.

Good luck!
Darin
Old 10th April 2013, 07:50
HowtoForge Supporter

Exclamation FQDN and the ISPconfig APP ...

Hi Darin,

I don't fully understand your question. If I have registered myispserver.com, and the host name of the server I named as solo.myispserver.com, solo.myispserver.com is the Fully Qualified Domain Name (FDQN) of the server.
Thanks, I get it now. Hostname "solo" together with the domain myispserver.com is the FQDN

Am I missing something? Can you provide more detail?
Reading about it in the manual I misunderstod - it's because in the monitor APP's guide, when you "add server" the exaple is "server1.example.com" - please look at this:

The Add Server/Modify Server form is structured as follows:
Hostname (without http://): Fill in the hostname of the server to monitor (without http://), e.g. server1.example.com

This what I'm trying to do. To make my ispserver reachable using the hostname server1.myispserver.tld . Because it's a single server setup, I use only 1 domain for the system: ex. "myispserver1.dk, for the primary nameserver i use ns1.myispserver1.dk, and I would like the server to be reachable using server1.myispserver1.dk . Is it just to setup the subdomain? Somehow I thougt the ispserver would be reachable from the web using its FQDN. Like in the example from the App "server1.example.com. My god! He's a storyteller

If you are just trying to see if your system is accessible, that should be relatively simple to test. Also there is an ISPConfig 3 monitor for your phone that you can install and check the status of your server. This would also tell you whether it's accessible externally.
The App I'm talking about

Look at the monitor app here: http://www.ispconfig.org/download/
There's only the one or?

Don't forget to go to your server System --> Main Config --> Misc and set the Monitor keyword.
Yes I know about that... My god, don't ever bye a smartphone using danish spell check. Just wrote the word "about" which was immediately changed to "snot" So sorry for the funny little and not understandable words.

Looking forward to hear from you

Kind Regards,
Dan
Old 10th April 2013, 20:20
HowtoForge Supporter

Hi Dan,

Please put these two files here, so I can see their configurations:

Code:
/etc/network/interfaces
Code:
/etc/hosts
Thanks,
Darin
Old 11th April 2013, 09:24
HowtoForge Supporter

Exclamation server1.myispserverdomain1.tld & ISPconfig3 APP

Please put these two files here, so I can see their configurations:

Code:
/etc/network/interfaces
# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.1.200
netmask 255.255.255.0
network 192.168.1.0
broadcast 192.168.1.255
gateway 192.168.1.1
~
~

Code:
/etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost
192.168.1.200 server1.myispserverdomain1.tld server1

# The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts
::1 localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
~
~

Hi Darin,

Here's the files

I got the App to work right now, from the outside using my myispserverdomain1.tld and from the inside using "myispserverlocalip" (192.168.1.200) - both of them on port 8082 because of the "SSL connection" and "Self-Signed SSL Certificate". But, they keep telling us to use the hostname "server1.myispserverdomain1.tld" and this is of course what why are also trying to achieve

Looking very much forward to hear from you...

Kind Regards,
Dan
Old 12th April 2013, 02:08
HowtoForge Supporter

Great. Thanks for posting those. Now, how about showing me what you get for these commands:

Code:
hostname
Code:
hostname -f
Plus give me your DNS records for this server.

Thanks,
Darin

Last edited by darinpeterson; 12th April 2013 at 02:09. Reason: need DNS records.