Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > Server Operation

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 4th November 2013, 02:59

Default Virtual Users And Domains With Postfix, Courier, MySQL And SquirrelMail (Debian Wheez

G'day

Firstly, love you work Falko.

Last week while rebuilding my machine, I accidently formatted the disk that my VM's were on so I had to completely rebuild. I chose Virtual Users And Domains With Postfix, Courier, MySQL And SquirrelMail (Debian Wheezy) howto and followed it word by word.

At completion, I logged into Squirrel and there were already emails arriving. Things were looking good, but unfortunately, that is as far as I have been able to get.

I can log into squirrel from inside and external to my network, and see emails without issue. I couldn't send last night at home but have been able to today from external.

The real pain is, I can't set up the email accounts on my phones, tabs or computer. I suspect my ISP or modem don't like the new server settings, but have no idea why or how to go about fixing them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Champs
Sponsored Links
Old 4th November 2013, 04:25

Send a message via Skype™ to Quaxth

Had you checked that all ports needed are open on Server, Router etc. and also on any used Firewall? Check from external if Port 25, 143, 465, 587 are open.
The Following User Says Thank You to Quaxth For This Useful Post:
champs (4th November 2013)
Old 4th November 2013, 07:23

Quaxth

The forwarding rules on my modem hadn't changed, but I ducked home and added the other ports you mentioned that were not already done and mail started flowing.

Unfortunately, this has not resolved the issue of being able to send mail out to mail addresses not on my server.

Transaction failed554 5.7.1 <xxxxx.xxxxx@xxxxxx.com.au>: Relay access denied
Old 4th November 2013, 07:36

Did you use an SMTP Relay server for to send Mail? If so, that Relay server may need authentication! Many ISP's didn't providing Free SMTP Server's and even blocking Port 25 or other.

To find out the SMTP Relay Server is open, means no need authentication, you could use the following website: http://www.mydnstools.info/smtprelay

Place the full SMTP Server address, like mail.mydomain.com, in the search box and see what happen. If the Server is an Open Relay server, the result will shown as OK. If not, it could mention need authentication or others.

It's worth to test, me think!
Old 4th November 2013, 13:21

Still getting Relay access denied.

The website that you posted came back with the same thing....Relay access denied
Old 4th November 2013, 14:07

That's what I expected!

So, now tell WHERE is that SMTP Server located? On your Server? Means an internal, from ISOConfig running SMTP or a Relay SMTP Server from some ISP?
Old 4th November 2013, 14:16

It's on my server, but I am not running ISPConfig
Old 4th November 2013, 14:32

So, you say that the Relay is on your own Server?! In that case you limit yourself.

Start checking all Mail and Firewall related settings. You have to open the required ports to public. If you didn't do that, your mail wont work!

Beside of open the ports and ad exceptions to the Firewall, you need also to key in the authentication data, means Username and Password for the SMTP Relay.

And as long as you didn't explain what system etc. you've running and how it were setup etc. others maybe have the same problem to help you.
Old 5th November 2013, 13:02

Umm... OK

Don't know how I can be more specific about the set up than the subject title of this thread. But here goes....

It set up word for word as per the Howto.

http://www.howtoforge.com/virtual-us...-debian-wheezy

As for the settings, if I knew that much about the settings, I wouldn't need to ask for help.

Basically, the only thing I can think of is that I have cut and paste a command out of the how to but neglected to change the mydomain.com.tld to my real domain name or something like that.

But because I don't know what is triggering the Relay Access Denied, I don't know what config file to look for to find the issue.

If someone knows this how to, and understands what triggers the Relay Access Denied, can they point me in the right direction.

Cheers
Old 5th November 2013, 13:22
ISPConfig Developer

Please have a look in the following files first:
/etc/mailname
/etc/hostname
/etc/postfix/main.cf

pixcept KG