Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 2 > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 3rd August 2006, 23:54

Default FTP has stopped working for ISPConfig accounts

I can only log in to ftp with 'proper' user accounts created on the linux box such as an admin account... as opposed to ISPConfig accounts.

I had this working previously... after the initial realisation I needed to set up email accounts. Admin is enabled on the account in question.

My setup was flawless, save for a problem with mysqladmin -h ... which could not be completed. I have since had troubles with trying to change the mysql root password also. Could this be related?

Code:
/dev/xconsole:Aug  3 22:44:30 metroid proftpd: (pam_unix) session opened for user web1_steve by (uid=0)
/dev/xconsole:Aug  3 22:44:30 metroid proftpd[12940]: localhost.localdomain (localhost.localdomain[127.0.0.1]) - USER web1_steve (Login failed): Invalid shell: '/dev/null' 
/dev/xconsole:Aug  3 22:44:30 metroid proftpd: (pam_unix) session closed for user web1_steve
Web-Ftp:

The following error occurred:

Could not connect as user web1_steve

Next >>

I have not played with email yet so I don't know if that is working correctly.

Paul
Sponsored Links
Old 4th August 2006, 00:07

I have been struggling with this all day, and just after posting I found a solution in this forum by thinking up some new search criteria.

Turns out I needed to uncheck and recheck the ftp tick box.

Still not sure about the mysql stuff. Is it important whether the mysqladmin -h server1.example.com -u root password yourrootsqlpassword step is performed?
Old 4th August 2006, 13:49
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,702 Times in 2,545 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyowls
Still not sure about the mysql stuff. Is it important whether the mysqladmin -h server1.example.com -u root password yourrootsqlpassword step is performed?
If you have phpMyAdmin installed, you can open the mysql.user table. IT should have two lines for root. In one of them the hostname is localhost or localhost.localdomain, and in the other one it most likely has something different that server1.example.com. That's why your attempt to change the password failed. You can change the hostname through phpMyAdmin, then restart MySQL. Afterwards you can try again to change the password.

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on: