Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 3 > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 27th May 2014, 02:07

Default Email to Mailman list was rejected: User unknown in virtual mailbox table

I have a question concerning Mailman apps that was installed following the Debian 7.0 Perfect Server tutorial.

Information about my server:
Debian 7.0 with Dotdeb, installed based on steps in “Perfect Server” howtoforge.com
The server include postfix, Dovecot, nginx, Mailman
ISPConfig upgraded to version 3.0.5.4p1

My problem:
I sent email to a mailing list address, say listname@mydomain.org, but the server give this error message:

550 5.1.1 <listname@mydomain.org>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual mailbox table

What I did to prepare the mailing list:
- Installed Mailman
- ISPConfig3: Email > Domain > Add new Domain (create mydomain.org for email domain)
- ISPConfig3: Sites > click mydomain.org: Add nginx Directives at the Options tab to allow web-access to mailman
- Created first mailing list called “mailman”, and at the same time created mailman admin password
- ISPConfig3: Email > Mailing List > Add new record (create listname mailing list)
- Open web http://mydomain.org/cgi-bin/mailman/admin/listname, login, add Membership

Could anybody explain what should I do to fix this problem?

Regards,
Muhamad

ps. I have checked the contents of the files in /var/lib/mailman/data directory:
aliases contains “STANZA” for mailman (mailman-admin, mailman-bounces, etc.) and for listname
transport-mailman contains STANZA for listname (listname@mydomain.org local, etc.)
virtual-mailman contains STANZA for listname. Some lines in the file:

listname@mydomain.org listname
listname-admin@mydomain.org listname-admin
listname-bounces@mydomain.org listname-bounces
listname-confirm@mydomain.org listname-confirm
listname-join@mydomain.org listname-join
listname-leave@mydomain.org listname-leave
listname-owner@mydomain.org listname-owner
listname-request@mydomain.org listname-request
listname-subscribe@mydomain.org listname-subscribe
listname-unsubscribe@mydomain.org listname-unsubscribe
Sponsored Links
Old 27th May 2014, 02:08

I checked /var/log/syslog:

May 27 04:38:01 mail postfix/smtpd[24807]: warning: database /var/lib/mailman/data/virtual-mailman.db is older than source file /var/lib/mailman/data/virtual-mailman
May 27 04:38:02 mail postfix/smtpd[24807]: connect from mail-vc0-f169.google.com[209.85.220.169]
May 27 04:38:03 mail postfix/smtpd[24807]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from mail-vc0-f169.google.com[209.85.220.169]: 550 5.1.1 <listname@mydomain.org>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual mailbox table; from=<myname@gmail.com> to=<listname@mydomain.org> proto=ESMTP helo=<mail-vc0-f169.google.com>

Because it says that "virtual-mailman.db is older than source file", I did the following:
cd /var/lib/mailman/data
postmap virtual-mailman

After that, I sent test email to the same list, and I got the following error message:

<listname@mydefault.domain> (expanded from <listname@mydomain.org>): user unknown

Final-Recipient: rfc822; listname@mydefault.domain
Original-Recipient: rfc822;listname@mydomain.org
Action: failed
Diagnostic-Code: x-unix; user unknown