Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 3 > General

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 1st August 2012, 12:59

Default Server Admin Account (not root) can't access parts of client site due to group restri

I'm trying to access a client's site through my own userid (a key authenticated linux account that's been added to the groups used by ISPConfig), not the root account.

However I can't access some parts of their site because the folders don't have group write (or execute) attribute set.

Is it acceptable to chmod 770 /.../clients/client0/web0/web folder?

Before attempting the above, I was trying to enable root FTP login using SSH. It's working for my other accounts, but not for root. I"ve created a folder in /root called .ssh, and applied chmod 700. Then I put authorized_keys in it and applied chmod 600. Rootlogin = without-password, and PasswordAuthentication is OFF.

I'll get there, just wondering how others achieve this.

Cheers,
Nap
(Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, Kernel 3.4.2-linode44, Apache 2.2.14, MySQL 5.1.63, PHP 5.3.2, ISPConfig 3.0.4.6, Webmin, PureFTP & Quota, phpMyAdmin, postfix, dovecot, clamav, spamassassin, awstats, fail2ban, Jailkit, bind9, vlogger, webalizer)
Sponsored Links
Old 1st August 2012, 13:54
Super Moderator

Thanked 4,983 Times in 3,903 Posts

Quote:
Is it acceptable to chmod 770 /.../clients/client0/web0/web folder?
You can do this if you dont care that all scripts running as apache user can alter content in all websites then.

Quote:
Before attempting the above, I was trying to enable root FTP login using SSH. It's working for my other accounts, but not for root. I"ve created a folder in /root called .ssh, and applied chmod 700. Then I put authorized_keys in it and applied chmod 600. Rootlogin = without-password, and PasswordAuthentication is OFF.
You can do this with sftp (ssh) but not ftp and then use a client like winscp to access the server.
The Following User Says Thank You to till For This Useful Post:
Nap (1st August 2012)
Old 1st August 2012, 14:04

[QUOTE=till;283093You can do this with sftp (ssh) but not ftp and then use a client like winscp to access the server.[/QUOTE]

I would like to do use SFTP for root, but it's not working. I've set it up exactly (as per OP) how I did the other SFTP users and they all work. It's just the root account that's not working for me

I don't understand why. /root/.ssh is the right place for the authorized_keys file, and the other settings are the same as the other users.
(Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, Kernel 3.4.2-linode44, Apache 2.2.14, MySQL 5.1.63, PHP 5.3.2, ISPConfig 3.0.4.6, Webmin, PureFTP & Quota, phpMyAdmin, postfix, dovecot, clamav, spamassassin, awstats, fail2ban, Jailkit, bind9, vlogger, webalizer)
Old 1st August 2012, 14:06

hmmm, turns out I didn't have the root private key loaded into Pageant. Arrrrrr.....
It's working now. No need to change permissions.