Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > Server Operation

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 22nd July 2012, 23:45
holykim holykim is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 53
Thanks: 15
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default NFS is no longer work after reboot the server.

I have a server which installed CentOS 5.8 64bit with OpenVZ. I reboot the server due to memory upgrade. After then NFS server doesn't work properly with the error below. I can't figure out how to fix this, please advise.

in /var/log/messages


rpc.idmapd[21461]: nfsdreopen: Opening '/proc/net/rpc/nfs4.nametoid/channel' failed: errno 2 (No such file or directory)
rpc.idmapd[21461]: nfsdreopen: Opening '/proc/net/rpc/nfs4.idtoname/channel' failed: errno 2 (No such file or directory)

NFS status seems working as below.

service nfs status

rpc.mountd (pid 29524) is running...
nfsd (pid 29521 29520 29519 29518 29517 29516 29515 29514) is running...
rpc.rquotad (pid 29509) is running...

I restarted NFS and it's been done without fail.

Shutting down NFS mountd: [ OK ]
Shutting down NFS daemon: [ OK ]
Shutting down NFS quotas: [ OK ]
Shutting down NFS services: [ OK ]
Starting NFS services: [ OK ]
Starting NFS quotas: [ OK ]
Starting NFS daemon: [ OK ]
Starting NFS mountd: [ OK ]

However, I found the same error from /var/log/messages and NFS server is not working.

rpc.idmapd[29548]: nfsdreopen: Opening '/proc/net/rpc/nfs4.nametoid/channel' failed: errno 2 (No such file or directory)
rpc.idmapd[29548]: nfsdreopen: Opening '/proc/net/rpc/nfs4.idtoname/channel' failed: errno 2 (No such file or directory)

nfsstat tells me there is no Server nfs v3

Server rpc stats:
calls badcalls badclnt badauth xdrcall
0 0 0 0 0

Client rpc stats:
calls retrans authrefrsh
0 0 0

NFS installed on the Host node, not the containers so I believe it's not a OpenVZ problems. I tried reinstall nfs-utils but it didn't help.

I have tested NFS server on my another servers which has the same CentOS 5.8 and all work fine.

statd, idmapdm rquotad, mountd are loaded.
# ps -ef | grep rpc
rpc 7127 1 0 05:19 ? 00:00:00 portmap
root 7160 155 0 05:19 ? 00:00:00 [rpciod/0]
root 7161 155 0 05:19 ? 00:00:00 [rpciod/1]
root 7162 155 0 05:19 ? 00:00:00 [rpciod/2]
root 7163 155 0 05:19 ? 00:00:00 [rpciod/3]
rpc 10715 9146 0 05:19 ? 00:00:00 portmap
rpc 12615 10295 0 05:20 ? 00:00:00 portmap
rpcuser 23361 1 0 06:00 ? 00:00:00 rpc.statd -p 662 -o 2020
root 29548 1 0 06:25 ? 00:00:00 rpc.idmapd
root 65829 1 0 08:54 ? 00:00:00 rpc.rquotad -p 875
root 65844 1 0 08:54 ? 00:00:00 rpc.mountd -p 892
root 72362 63745 0 09:21 pts/1 00:00:00 grep rpc


Thanks in advance for your help.

Harry
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 23rd July 2012, 23:27
falko falko is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lüneburg, Germany
Posts: 41,701
Thanks: 1,900
Thanked 2,739 Times in 2,574 Posts
Default

What's the output of
Code:
getenforce
?

Also, did you check of RAM is ok (e.g. with memtest)?
__________________
Falko
--
Download the ISPConfig 3 Manual! | Check out the ISPConfig 3 Billing Module!

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 23rd July 2012, 23:51
holykim holykim is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 53
Thanks: 15
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Thanks Falko

Code:
# getenforce
Disabled
I didn't check the memory using a memtest but when the system boot up I haven't got any errors.

I upgraded memory from 14GB to 16GB. I removed two 1GB and installed two 2GB that taken out from the working server, so I did't doubt a memory faulty. Is this possible if the memory faulty caused stop working NFS? Currently all other services are working fine on this server.

Please advise if anything I can do to resolve this issue.

Many Thanks

Harry

P.S The system OS including kernel was up to date using YUM before it's restarted. I tried to reboot the server with the previous kernel but it didn't help. Please help.

Last edited by holykim; 24th July 2012 at 02:13.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 24th July 2012, 05:48
holykim holykim is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 53
Thanks: 15
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

I found the broken link in /lib/modules/2.6.18-308.8.2.el5.028stab101.1/build

I installed ovzkernel-devel and now the link is alive. I don't reboot the server yet as it is live situation.

Falko, can I expect the issue to be resolved if I reboot the server? Please advise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holykim View Post
Thanks Falko

Code:
# getenforce
Disabled
I didn't check the memory using a memtest but when the system boot up I haven't got any errors.

I upgraded memory from 14GB to 16GB. I removed two 1GB and installed two 2GB that taken out from the working server, so I did't doubt a memory faulty. Is this possible if the memory faulty caused stop working NFS? Currently all other services are working fine on this server.

Please advise if anything I can do to resolve this issue.

Many Thanks

Harry

P.S The system OS including kernel was up to date using YUM before it's restarted. I tried to reboot the server with the previous kernel but it didn't help. Please help.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 24th July 2012, 21:48
falko falko is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lüneburg, Germany
Posts: 41,701
Thanks: 1,900
Thanked 2,739 Times in 2,574 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by holykim View Post
Falko, can I expect the issue to be resolved if I reboot the server? Please advise.
I can't tell. If you have a rescue system, I'd say it's ok to reboot.
__________________
Falko
--
Download the ISPConfig 3 Manual! | Check out the ISPConfig 3 Billing Module!

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 25th July 2012, 23:17
holykim holykim is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 53
Thanks: 15
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by falko View Post
I can't tell. If you have a rescue system, I'd say it's ok to reboot.
Do yo mean NFS can be resume to normal operation if I reboot the server? Does ovzkernel-dev fix the missing folders below? Currently NFS daemon doesn't create them. Please advise.
'/proc/net/rpc/nfs4.nametoid'
'/proc/net/rpc/nfs4.idtoname'

Updated. ** Reboot the server but nothing changed. Still errors in /var/log/messages as below. Please help!

rpc.idmapd[21461]: nfsdreopen: Opening '/proc/net/rpc/nfs4.nametoid/channel' failed: errno 2 (No such file or directory)
rpc.idmapd[21461]: nfsdreopen: Opening '/proc/net/rpc/nfs4.idtoname/channel' failed: errno 2 (No such file or directory)

Last edited by holykim; 26th July 2012 at 17:38.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 27th July 2012, 22:15
holykim holykim is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 53
Thanks: 15
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by holykim View Post
Do yo mean NFS can be resume to normal operation if I reboot the server? Does ovzkernel-dev fix the missing folders below? Currently NFS daemon doesn't create them. Please advise.
'/proc/net/rpc/nfs4.nametoid'
'/proc/net/rpc/nfs4.idtoname'

Updated. ** Reboot the server but nothing changed. Still errors in /var/log/messages as below. Please help!

rpc.idmapd[21461]: nfsdreopen: Opening '/proc/net/rpc/nfs4.nametoid/channel' failed: errno 2 (No such file or directory)
rpc.idmapd[21461]: nfsdreopen: Opening '/proc/net/rpc/nfs4.idtoname/channel' failed: errno 2 (No such file or directory)
The error message still exist with the rpc.idmapd. However, NFS is now working after reboot the server. What I did is install the ovzkernel-devel and reboot the server. That's it!

I will update if I found the exact reason that caused this issue.

Many thanks!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Debian 5 Ajax error + network interface always shutting down ev0css Installation/Configuration 3 5th June 2010 12:58
Sending mail ISPConfig 3 but not receivind catza Installation/Configuration 20 19th May 2010 12:47
amavis & ispconfig 3 yalex2000 Installation/Configuration 20 18th February 2010 17:02
ISPConfig3 Mail Warn Errors reason8 General 3 25th November 2009 13:58
FTP cannot open remote folder!?! andysm849 Server Operation 23 16th October 2008 23:34


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 21:44.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.