Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 3 > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 14th July 2012, 06:19

Default ISPConfig3 with Postfix/Dovecot (not Courier): Can't retrieve mail

Hi,

I am SETTING up my server at the moment, and I'm having a problem whereby mail accounts created in ISPConfig can't receive their mail.
I am running Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and installed Postfix with Dovecot (rather than Postfix and Courier as suggested in the ISPConfig guide here).

Looking into the mail.log file, I can see the mail account logging in and logging out (no error messages), but no mail is transferred. From webmail, I can view the mail queue and see the test mail (sent from a non-local user) that I'm trying to retrieve (so I know my server received the message). Webmin is able to show a list of mail users, but accounts from ISPConfig are not there.

I understand that mailboxes for new users aren't created until the mail is received from them, but I can't get my mail client (Outlook 2007) to work. Outlook doesn't report an error either, which doesn't help me.

While setting up the account, I assumed the mail server names (in and out) are "mail.clientdomain.tld". Is this correct? When configuring Postfix/Dovecot, I performed the following commands at the consol:

Code:
sudo postconf -e 'myhostname = plato.mydomain.net.au'
sudo postconf -e 'mydestination = plato.mydomain.net.au, localhost, localhost.localdomain'
sudo postconf -e 'mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8'
sudo postconf -e 'message_size_limit = 30720000'
sudo postconf -e 'virtual_alias_domains ='
sudo postconf -e 'virtual_alias_maps = proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual_forwardings.cf, mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual_email2email.cf'
sudo postconf -e 'virtual_mailbox_domains = proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual_domains.cf'
sudo postconf -e 'virtual_mailbox_maps = proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual_mailboxes.cf'
sudo postconf -e 'virtual_mailbox_base = /home/vmail'
sudo postconf -e 'virtual_uid_maps = static:5000'
sudo postconf -e 'virtual_gid_maps = static:5000'
sudo postconf -e 'smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes'
sudo postconf -e 'broken_sasl_auth_clients = yes'
sudo postconf -e 'smtpd_sasl_authenticated_header = yes'
sudo postconf -e 'smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_mynetworks, permit_sasl_authenticated, reject_unauth_destination'
sudo postconf -e 'smtpd_use_tls = yes'
sudo postconf -e 'smtpd_tls_cert_file = /etc/postfix/smtpd.cert'
sudo postconf -e 'smtpd_tls_key_file = /etc/postfix/smtpd.key'
sudo postconf -e 'virtual_create_maildirsize = yes'
sudo postconf -e 'virtual_maildir_extended = yes'
sudo postconf -e 'proxy_read_maps = $local_recipient_maps $mydestination $virtual_alias_maps $virtual_alias_domains $virtual_mailbox_maps $virtual_mailbox_domains $relay_recipient_maps $relay_domains $canonical_maps $sender_canonical_maps $recipient_canonical_maps $relocated_maps $transport_maps $mynetworks $virtual_mailbox_limit_maps'
sudo postconf -e virtual_transport=dovecot
sudo postconf -e dovecot_destination_recipient_limit=1
Is Postfix/Dovecot not compatable with ISPConfig? Is the name of the incoming/outgoing mail server the same as the localhost where Postfix is installed? Or is there something else I might have done wrong or still need to configure?

Cheers,
Nap

Last edited by Nap; 14th July 2012 at 06:54. Reason: qualify this is an initial setup, not a breakdown.
Sponsored Links
Old 14th July 2012, 06:53

I looked in the file system, and there is a folder '/var/vmail/clientdomain.tld/client_email_id/Maildir#' ISPConfig did what it had to do here
So the folder structure has been created. However, sub-folders 'cur', 'new', and 'tmp' are all empty. I guess the mail item hasn't been delivered to the mailbox.

This sort of explains why outlook didn't report a message.
Old 15th July 2012, 12:46
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,702 Times in 2,545 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nap View Post
Is Postfix/Dovecot not compatable with ISPConfig?
ISPConfig does support Postfix and dovecot, so that's not the problem.

Are there any errors in your mail log (/var/log/mail.log)?

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Old 15th July 2012, 14:53

Postfix/Dovecot are configured to use ClamAV, but it wasn't installed.
Didn't follow the Perfect Install guide here. Installing as per guide works fine now.