Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 3 > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 21st June 2012, 02:50

Default Some questions about multiserver setup

Hi,

I've just finished the multiserver tutorial and there are a couple things I'm not too clear about.

Does every server need its fqdn in the host file of every other server? And if this is the case is there anyway to automate this when adding a new slave server?

If I ever need to change the mysql root password on the master or a slave server, how should I do this?

Thank you,

George
Sponsored Links
Old 21st June 2012, 11:37
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,534 Times in 4,352 Posts

Quote:
Does every server need its fqdn in the host file of every other server?
Yes, otherwise the system will not be able to sync changes after installation as mysql authentication will fail.

Quote:
If I ever need to change the mysql root password on the master or a slave server, how should I do this?
Change it as usual with phpmyadmin. The slaves dont use the root password to connect to the master, the root password is only used during installation. Afterwards change the root password in the file /usr/local/ispconfig/server/lib/mysql_clientdb.conf on the master server too (not on the slaves).
The Following User Says Thank You to till For This Useful Post:
georgeopalmer (21st June 2012)
Old 21st June 2012, 11:52

Hi Till,

Thanks for the clarification.

If every server essentially needs the same hosts file, can this not just be synced or shared between the servers?

I'm looking to have around 40 slaves initially, but adding another one would be a nightmare if I have to modify the hosts file of every server.

Thank you,

George
Old 21st June 2012, 12:19
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,534 Times in 4,352 Posts

Quote:
If every server essentially needs the same hosts file, can this not just be synced or shared between the servers?
Yes, this should work as well. It might even work without the hosts file when all hostnames get resolved correctly from dns, you might want to try that. The reason for host file syncing is just mysql as the mysql daemon is a bit picky when it compares the hostname of a incoming connection request with the permission tables.
Old 21st June 2012, 13:31

When I have setup slaves in the past, I have never used the host file method. I have always used DNS to handle it for me.