Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 3 > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 4th June 2012, 16:07

Default What after instaling perfect server? Step by step

Hi guys.

I insalled perfect ubuntu server 12.04 LTS (http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-se...ot-ispconfig-3)

Everything went "perfect" until last last instruction which is

Afterwards you can access ISPConfig 3 under http(s)://server1.example.com:8080/ or http(s)://192.168.0.100:8080/ ( http or https depends on what you chose during installation). Log in with the username admin and the password admin (you should change the default password after your first login):

I can only login from my IP or internal IP (192.168.2.140) but not from server1.mydomain.info.

I logged to ISP by IP but I didn't do anything for now.
I want to solve "login by domain" problem first.

So the facts are:

I have hosted mydomain.info at hosting company and page is working

mydomain.info is registered at gogdaddy and
primary DNS is ns1.hostcompany.com
secondary DNS is ns2.hostcompany.com

I want to have my web page on my new server just for backup in case host company server is down.
I have 1 IP.

So I assume

1. primary DNS for mydomain.info should stay the same but the secondary DNS should be changed from ns2.hostcompany.com to server1.mydomain.info (server1.mydomain.info is hostname of my server)

2. name server server1.mydomain should be registered at godday
Since 2 name server must be registered can I just add server2.mydomain.info
and enter the same IP because I have only 1 external IP. Does registrars (in this case godaddy) require any records to be added prior registering name server. Is it possible to register name server at diferent registrar?

Is it ok that server si subdomain of web page or it is better to have one domain just for server (and not also for web page)

In short what steps need to be taken in order web page to work (not just web server itself to work). I think this will be very usefulf for all begginers to find everthing on one place. If this steps are already wiritten on some other post I will be greatfull for link.

Thank you very much!

Last edited by begginer; 4th June 2012 at 16:14.
Sponsored Links
Old 4th June 2012, 16:16
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,205 Times in 4,081 Posts

See ISPConfig documentation site:

http://docs.ispconfig.org/creating-web-sites/

Many more instructions are availble here in the forum and also in the ISPconfig manual:

http://www.ispconfig.org/ispconfig-3...nfig-3-manual/
Old 4th June 2012, 16:32

Thank you till.

So if I understand correctly it is normal for the first time to login to isp just via IP. If so falco should put this note in his toturial because I thought I run into problem (and I belive many others also) because I can't login with hostname.
Old 4th June 2012, 16:41
Super Moderator

Quote:
So if I understand correctly it is normal for the first time to login to isp just via IP.
No. It depends on your server setup, hosting provider and if you use a external dns server for the zone were your server is part of.
Old 4th June 2012, 17:00

Hmmm I know only 2 things

1. I have mydomain registered at godaddy before and the site is working. Primary and secondary DNS are ns1.hostcompany.com and ns2.hostcompany.com

2. My host company in not the same company which give me internet line.

I folow strictly falco instructions mentioned above.

Should I be able to login with host name in that case? (I assume you know falco instructions).

What my sever setup should be?
What my hosting provider should do?
To login with hostname for the first time?

According to falco instruction I assume I have also dns server (so internal dns server). Am I right? My server hostname is server1.mydomain.info (hostname /f -> server1.mydomain.info)

Last edited by begginer; 4th June 2012 at 17:03.
Old 4th June 2012, 17:09
Super Moderator

You can login to ispconfig with any domain name, subdomain or IP address that points to your server. When you install a server (independantly if its a ispconfig server or not), then you choose a hostname for the server that exists and points to the IP address of the server, otherwise you wont be able to access any service with this hostname. Again it does not matter if you use ispconfig here, this applies to all services that can run on your system. So when you choose server1.mydomain.info as hostname of the server, then server1.mydomain.info should exist already in the dns server of the zone mydomain.info and point to the IP address of your server. So the whole point is that you used a non existing hostname for your server and thats why you cant use this hostname to connect to the system.

So to be able to use the hostname for ispconfig login, sh, ftp, email etc, login to yoour host company and add a dns A-Record for server1.mydomain.info which points to the IP address of your server.

Quote:
According to falco instruction I assume I have also dns server (so internal dns server). Am I right? My server hostname is server1.mydomain.info (hostname /f -> server1.mydomain.info)
You can have a internal nameserver or external nameserver, this does not matter.
Old 4th June 2012, 17:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by till View Post
So to be able to use the hostname for ispconfig login, sh, ftp, email etc, login to yoour host company and add a dns A-Record for server1.mydomain.info which points to the IP address of your server.

You can have a internal nameserver or external nameserver, this does not matter.
Hmm shouldn't I do this at godaddy where domain is registered. I setting up my backup server for purpose if my host company server is down and in this case A ecord is also down. (or not?).

Do I need to register name server at godaddy or "A record" at host company means that server is registered?
Old 4th June 2012, 19:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by till View Post
But what in case starting without existing web page (without web hosting company)? Who then add A record? My ISP? Can this A record be on any existing server?
Old 5th June 2012, 23:55
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,721 Times in 2,562 Posts

If you've registered your domain at GoDaddy, you can manage your DNS records from GoDaddy's web interface.

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on: