Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 3 > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 25th May 2012, 13:37
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,377 Times in 4,224 Posts

You can not run vlogger manually,so the errors are ok. The problem is caused by a missing perl package which is not a dependency of the ubuntu vlogger package and which was not nescessary in Ubuntu versions < 12.04. The package that has to be installed is:

libclass-dbi-mysql-perl

install it with:

apt-get install libclass-dbi-mysql-perl
Sponsored Links
Old 27th May 2012, 11:54

Code:
libclass-dbi-mysql-perl is already the newest version.
And still:

Code:
piped log program ' /usr/local/ispconfig/server/scripts/vlogger -s access.log -t "%Y%m%d-access.log" -d "/etc/vlogger-dbi.conf" /var/log/ispconfig/httpd' failed unexpectedly
Anything else ?

Last edited by Raziel; 27th May 2012 at 11:56. Reason: OS
Old 27th May 2012, 13:50
Super Moderator

Please see here:

http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57413
Old 27th May 2012, 14:40

Still no luck for me (failed unexpectedly).
Old 27th May 2012, 14:44
Super Moderator

I have reporst from severalusers that the change in my.cnf fixed the issue.Please check again that you added it to the corrrect config section and that you restarted mysql and apache afterwards.
Old 27th May 2012, 17:34

vlogger-dbi.conf
Code:
dsn DBI:mysql:database=dbispconfig;host=127.0.0.1:3306
user ispconfig
pass ************ (identical to the one in ispconfig/interface/lib/config.inc.php
dump 30
apache2.conf
Code:
# The following directives define some format nicknames for use with
# a CustomLog directive (see below).
# If you are behind a reverse proxy, you might want to change %h into %{X-Forwarded-For}i
#
LogFormat "%v:%p %h %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %O \"%{Referer}i\" \"%{User-Agent}i\"" vhost_combined
LogFormat "%h %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %O \"%{Referer}i\" \"%{User-Agent}i\"" combined
LogFormat "%h %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %O" common
LogFormat "%{Referer}i -> %U" referer
LogFormat "%{User-agent}i" agent
sites-enabled/000-ispconfig.conf
Code:
LogFormat "%v %h %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %B \"%{Referer}i\" \"%{User-Agent}i\"" combined_ispconfig
CustomLog "| /usr/local/ispconfig/server/scripts/vlogger -s access.log -t \"%Y%m%d-access.log\" -d \"/etc/vlogger-dbi.conf\" /var/log/ispconfig/httpd" combined_ispconfig
/etc/mysql/my.cnf
Code:
[mysqld]
max_connections        = 500
max_user_connections   = 500
I appreciate if you could give me a hand on this. I'm not a beginner but I ran out of ideas for the moment... If you need other informations, please ask. Thank you in advance.
Old 28th May 2012, 12:51
Super Moderator

I have no idea why it does not work on your server. The problem is that perl ( vlogger) cant connect reliably to mysql. As a workaround you can disable traffic logging by editing the file:

sites-enabled/000-ispconfig.conf

and changing the line:

Code:
CustomLog "| /usr/local/ispconfig/server/scripts/vlogger -s access.log -t \"%Y%m%d-access.log\" -d \"/etc/vlogger-dbi.conf\" /var/log/ispconfig/httpd" combined_ispconfig
to

Code:
CustomLog "| /usr/local/ispconfig/server/scripts/vlogger -s access.log -t \"%Y%m%d-access.log\" /var/log/ispconfig/httpd" combined_ispconfig
and restart apache. This disables only traffic logging, webalizer and awstats will work.
Old 29th May 2012, 17:25

Default Apache error

Hello, I have been redirected to this thread as my thread was closed and specified i should look here.

My thread http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/sho...776#post279776

I made the changed to my.cnf according the above thread:

Edit mysql my.cnf file and add the lines

max_connections = 500
max_user_connections = 500

In the [mysqld] section and restart mysql.

but when i do i get the following error

DBI connect('database=dbispconfig;host=127.0.0.1:3306' ,'ispconfig',...) failed: Can't connect to MySQL server on '127.0.0.1' (111) at /usr/local/ispconfig/server/scripts/vlogger line 514
DBI Error: at /usr/local/ispconfig/server/scripts/vlogger line 514, <STDIN> line 307.
[Tue May 29 09:20:03 2012] [error] [client 10.43.144.190] PHP Warning: mysql_connect(): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2) in /usr/local/ispconfig/interface/lib/classes/db_mysql.inc.php on line 76, referer: https://192.168.251.25:8080/index.php

i had to remove the changes i made and rebooted the server and was able to get my server running again.

but i am still getting

piped log program ' /usr/local/ispconfig/server/scripts/vlogger -s access.log -t "%Y%m%d-access.log" -d "/etc/vlogger-dbi.conf" /var/log/ispconfig/httpd' failed unexpectedly

I saw the previous post said to disable vlogger but is this really recommended?
Old 29th May 2012, 17:34
Super Moderator

Quote:
I saw the previous post said to disable vlogger but is this really recommended?
The previous post does not disable vlogger, it disables traffic logging to mysql in vlogger so vlogger is still active and used to split logfiles, it is not disabled. This is the only option at the moment until we found out why perl is not able to connect to mysql 5.5 reliably on Ubuntu 12.10 while the same code works on Debian 6 and Ubuntu 11.10.

Quote:
DBI connect('database=dbispconfig;host=127.0.0.1:3306' ,'ispconfig',...) failed: Can't connect to MySQL server on '127.0.0.1' (111) at /usr/local/ispconfig/server/scripts/vlogger line 514
DBI Error: at /usr/local/ispconfig/server/scripts/vlogger line 514, <STDIN> line 307.
[Tue May 29 09:20:03 2012] [error] [client 10.43.144.190] PHP Warning: mysql_connect(): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2) in /usr/local/ispconfig/interface/lib/classes/db_mysql.inc.php on line 76, referer: https://192.168.251.25:8080/index.php
Thats a different issue, this problem is either caused by a rong setting in mysql my.cnf (e.g. a typo when you edited it or by inserting the two lines in a wrong section) or the mysql login details in the /etc/vlogger-dbi.conf file are wrong.
Old 30th May 2012, 08:55
Super Moderator

Quote:
I too am having this problem and was wondering if there was a way to disable Vlogger for the time being until a proper fix is out.
Thats decsribed already above in this thread, see #37.

Quote:
On the bug tracking site it is labeled as low priority but I feel it should be a fair amount higher due to the fact that it makes a service go down which could have a big impact on a business or a site that gets a lot of traffic..
The priority in the bugtracker is correct, only security bugs get a priority that is higher. Beside that, only some servers are affected by this issue, have ag test sytm here were I set the max connections value to 500 as I suggested and I'am not able to trigger this anymore by running > 1 million requests on the server with test script.