Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 2 > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 7th February 2009, 06:37

Default FTP Help/Understanding

I have just installed the latest release candidate for ISPConfig 3. Nice. However, I am having a few issues (or confusions) with how ftp users are set up, and SSL for more than one site. Oh ... and no matter what I do, all my sites only show the home page for the first site I added.

These first issues stem from the fact that I cannot log in because, (in the logs), it says no such user. So, am I to understand that ISPConfig, when you add an ftp user to a domain or site, does not add the user to proftpd.conf? Am I supposed to add a user in the normal linux way first? Then add the user in ISPConfig?

The second is not really and issue, at least yet but I just want to understand how ISPConfig handles multiple sites that use SSL certs?

Finally, I do not know why all of the sites I have added only show the pages from the first site. I have added and deleted these sites a few times in trying to get this to work.

I appreciate any help with this as I am under the gun here. I need to get a specific site up and running ASAP.

TIA

Dave
Sponsored Links
Old 7th February 2009, 12:08
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,596 Times in 4,407 Posts

Update to the latest ispconfig 3 from svn. The RC1 is rather old already.

Quote:
These first issues stem from the fact that I cannot log in because, (in the logs), it says no such user. So, am I to understand that ISPConfig, when you add an ftp user to a domain or site, does not add the user to proftpd.conf? Am I supposed to add a user in the normal linux way first? Then add the user in ISPConfig?
FTP users are never added in proftpd.conf as proftpd is not compatible with ispconfig 3. Please install your server exactly as described in the installation instructions for ispconfig 3!

Quote:
I just want to understand how ISPConfig handles multiple sites that use SSL certs?
ISPConfig handles this like it is handled in every apache installation. You need one IP per SSL site as the SSL protocol requires it.
Old 7th February 2009, 16:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by till View Post

FTP users are never added in proftpd.conf as proftpd is not compatible with ispconfig 3. Please install your server exactly as described in the installation instructions for ispconfig 3!
OK .. again I must have missed this somewhere. I guess I mixed up the old install directions. I believe that almost all, with the exception of the ftp server has been installed. Unless version 3 is not compatible with Postfix? I think it is yes?

Dave
Old 7th February 2009, 16:15
Super Moderator

The problem is that if you followed ther perfect setup guide, your system is now incompatible with ISPConfig 3. You will have to format it and install it as described in the ispconfig 3 instructions.
Old 7th February 2009, 16:36

Quote:
The problem is that if you followed ther perfect setup guide, your system is now incompatible with ISPConfig 3. You will have to format it and install it as described in the ispconfig 3 instructions.
I just looked through the install guide for ver 3 and almost everything in there I did. The only thing I did not do was the compileuser stuff, which I have now done, the courier stuff because I had wanted to use dovecot ... because it is faster and the mydns .. because I have bind installed and, I am not going to use this machine as a primary or secondary ... just a caching dns server. I am not realy familiar with mydns but I assume it is a lightweight DNS server? Ver 3 not compatible with Bind?

So, why can't I just add in the missing parts (the necessary ones) or at worst, remove ISPConfig and re-install. I do not want to reformat the server as I am running out of time.

Thanks for your help by the way.

Dave
Old 7th February 2009, 16:48
Super Moderator

Quote:
Ver 3 not compatible with Bind?
ISPconfig 3 does not support bind.

Quote:
So, why can't I just add in the missing parts (the necessary ones) or at worst, remove ISPConfig and re-install.
Because it will not work. Believe me or not, I've just written ISPConfig 3 so you can assume that I know waht I'am talking about. You would have to undo exactly every step that you did from the perfects etup guide but the software packages will not go back into their original state even if you uninstall them.

Quote:
I do not want to reformat the server as I am running out of time.
Then you should do what I suggested. Finding every problem manually and undo every step will take several hours. Doing a reinstall can be done within an hour.
Old 7th February 2009, 16:59

Quote:

Because it will not work. Believe me or not, I've just written ISPConfig 3 so you can assume that I know waht I'am talking about. You would have to undo exactly every step that you did from the perfects etup guide but the software packages will not go back into their original state even if you uninstall them.

Then you should do what I suggested. Finding every problem manually and undo every step will take several hours. Doing a reinstall can be done within an hour.
I do assume you know what you are talking about. None of what I said was meant to infer otherwise. What I am trying to do is ... understand. There is not much documentation on this and so, if I am going to evaluate ISPConfig for use, I also need to try and understand what can and cannot be done and what the consequences will be of certain actions I might take.

So, you are saying that it is best to reformat the server from scratch?

Regards,

Dave
Old 7th February 2009, 17:04
Super Moderator

Quote:
So, you are saying that it is best to reformat the server from scratch?
Yes. Thats why I suggested it.
Old 7th February 2009, 20:55

Default install ISPConfig V3

So, I am following your instructions to the letter, after formatting my server. All has gone well (but in to my second hour now). I have however, reached an impasse. I have come to the section:

sudo rpmbuild -ta courier-authlib-0.61.0.tar.bz2

sudo rpm -ivh /home/compileuser/rpm/RPMS/i386/courier-authlib-0.61.0-1.i386.rpm
sudo rpm -ivh /home/compileuser/rpm/RPMS/i386/courier-authlib-mysql-0.61.0-1.i386.rpm
sudo rpm -ivh /home/compileuser/rpm/RPMS/i386/courier-authlib-devel-0.61.0-1.i386.rpm

The first command seems to go fine with no apparent errors. The next three all say they cannot find the rpm file. I have checked in the destination directory and the files are not there. Do I need to find these and download them or what?

Dave
Old 7th February 2009, 21:26

Default more info

Well ... it seems what the issue is, at least for me is that the rpmbuild is not being built in the directories we created as part of the install. The courier-authlib section was pit in the /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386 directory, even though I was in as the compileuser. So I changed the path to the /usr/src .... and that installed OK. However, when I try to run:

rpmbuild -ta courier-imap-4.4.1.tar.bz2

it gives me a permission error. So, if if stick sudo in front of that it runs but then gives me the errors:

WARNING .... do not compile as root ... blah blah

This was my bad as the text in the instructions is rather small and the character in the %_topdir, I thought read as $_topdir.

So, trying to redo this.

Dave

Last edited by filch; 7th February 2009 at 21:41. Reason: screwed up!!