Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 3 > General

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 23rd August 2013, 14:14

Default Problem with webmail & gmail smtp relay

Hello, first of all sorry for my english, I'm from Argentine. I use ispconfig 3 with postfix, dovecot & debian squeeze. I was using smtp relay with the smtp server of my ISP and was working OK, now my ISP blocks the mail relay and I had configured smtp relay with gmail and it's working but when I use webmail (roundcube) the system sends the mail but when the people receives the mail in the from field shows my google account and not mydomain account. If I use a mail client (thunderbird or any other) it works ok. Any ideas?? Thanks in advance

Last edited by pattone; 23rd August 2013 at 14:20.
Sponsored Links
Old 23rd August 2013, 19:53

anbody?? I really need to setup this quickly. Thanks in advance
The Following User Says Thank You to pattone For This Useful Post:
cvvncdnjtlth (28th August 2013)
Old 28th August 2013, 19:18

In my server I have roundcube and squirrelmail with different alias and with both I have the same problem
Old 28th August 2013, 19:41
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,420 Times in 4,262 Posts

Most likely google detects the different mail headers / delivery path and changes the from address then. You should consider to use a different relay host, e.g. the one of your isp.
Old 28th August 2013, 19:48

Hello Till, thanks for your reply!! I was using smtp relay with the smtp server of my ISP and was working OK for a year; but now my ISP blocks mail relay so I have to use another server. The strange thing is this problem happens when I use webmail, if I use a mail client software (i.e thunderbird) everything works ok. I was thinking in updating roundcube or squirrelmail, what do you think?? thanks in advance

Last edited by pattone; 28th August 2013 at 19:50.
Old 10th September 2013, 14:58

I have seen this before when sending email via Gmail's SMTP server and the issue seems to be the message ends up containing a header 'Sender' that Thunderbird ignores whilst other clients show it to the user - which is where the 'On Behalf Of' comes from - I think this is your issue?

To solve this I add the email to the Gmail account first using the 'Add another email address you own' option. In the part where you choose SMTP server (either Google's or your own) just choose your own but actually add Google's one instead.

Once this is done the emails no longer have the 'On Behalf Of' attached to them when sent through Gmail's SMTP server.

There is a blog post about it here:

http://gmailblog.blogspot.co.uk/2009...s-without.html

Last edited by kerrsmith; 10th September 2013 at 15:46.
Old 7th December 2013, 14:31

You cannot get rid of the Gmail's "on behalf of". What I do, I use travel smtp (travelsmtp.com) and I can seriously recomment their service to everyone. Their support is fast and it's true what they claim: email never gets stuck again. I think they have some special technical thing going on cause my email problems are totally history since I use there service.