Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > Server Operation

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 2nd March 2012, 15:15

Default Add header with original recipient

Hi guys,

since last weeks I have a problem with my postfix configuration.

Some of my postboxes are defined as catchall, but thats make it really hard to separate the mails. What I need is something like X-Sender in the header to determine the sender. I have activated the X-Original-To in postfix, but in my case it seems very useless, postfix just placed the mailbox name there like catchall@mydomain.tld.

After googeling a bit I added a regular expression file with

Code:
/(.+)/ PREPEND X-Sender: $1
and added the line in Postfix right after

Code:
smtpd_recipient_restrictions = check_recipient_access pcre:/etc/postfix/append_header.regexp, (...)
in the main.cf file. That works very well for one address, but if I send it to multiple recipents I have tons of multiple entries in the mail head.

Code:
X-Sender: user@...
X-Sender: user2@
So that is not really what I'm searching for, it breaks the Bcc and I think it's not good to have a lot of entries with the same description.

In the last step I moved the entry to the smtpd_data_restrictions in main.cf. It work very well. But when I address more than one recipient, the X-Sender will not be added to the header...

Have anyone some experience with that? I get a lot of mails from other users/provieder which have also that kind of header added. Is that probably not possible to add when I use postfix? And now i'm totally confused with the X-Delivered, X-Envelope.., X-Original stuff...

Hope for help

Sponsored Links
Old 9th March 2012, 16:05

Default X-Original-To rewritten by Amavis

I've found a solution by myself,

the problem was amavis, which rewrites the X-Original-To. When you are using dovecot and amavis, as in my case.

so just add:
Code:
receive_override_options = no_address_mappings
in main.cf.

in master.cf add
Code:
127.0.0.1:10025 inet n    -       n       -       -     smtpd
-o receive_override_options=no_header_body_checks,no_unknown_recipient_checks
and

Code:
dovecot	  unix	-	n	n	-	-	pipe
	flags=DROhu user=vmail:vmail argv=/usr/lib/dovecot/deliver -f ${sender} -d ${recipient}
I have found a lot of questions in Mailing lists, but no has a answer on the special problem.

PS: I've to admit, that this is not a rewrite, but adds the standard complaint header X-Original-To which is the same as X-Envelope in Exim.
The Following User Says Thank You to 127.0.0.1 For This Useful Post:
falko (10th March 2012)