Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 3 > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 14th February 2012, 19:57

Default Installing OpenVZ after ISPconfig 3?

Does ISPconfig have to be installed after OpenVZ?

I ask because when I add a virtual server in ispconfig it doesn't seem to add it to vzlist or anything and I just get "Container(s) not found"...
and server.sh doesn't show any errors, just that it has detected changes and it is adding them and restarting bind or something to that effect.

Last edited by arspoetica; 14th February 2012 at 20:11.
Sponsored Links
Old 14th February 2012, 22:41
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,319 Times in 4,172 Posts

Ispconfig has to be installed after openvz has be installed and you can not use openvz on a server that hosts websites, as openvz will not work when quota is configured for the harddisk.
Old 15th February 2012, 08:13

Ok, I assumed that it was something to that effect.

(for some reason the first time I read your response I read it as "quota won't work with openvz" and not the other way around and just answered questions I was about to ask to that effect)

So I have two servers, which at the moment are both configured to http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-se...ot-ispconfig-3 , and I need them to both be DNS servers. What would be the best or most efficient setup for the two? and the least downtime.. Could I just re-install the second server, follow your tutorial, and then just drop bind on top? Or would that be the incorrect way to do that?

Edit: I am new to this if you couldn't tell, but I have read hundreds of pages over the last two weeks getting things to work, so this should be a cakewalk in comparison.... I hope

Last edited by arspoetica; 15th February 2012 at 08:17.
Old 15th February 2012, 09:23
Super Moderator

So you need dns servers or openvz servers? For dns servers, there is a guide available here that installs a primary and secondary dns server:

http://www.howtoforge.com/how-to-run...debian-squeeze

Ioenvz is something different, as you would normally not run any other services except of openvz on the host system. To install a openvz ispconfig server, see here:

http://www.howtoforge.com/installing...g-3-debian-6.0

So if you want to manage virtual servers with openvz, then you could e.g. install ispconfig as described in the openvz guide, then create openvz virtual machines in ispconfig and install the dns servers inside these virtual machines. The benefit is that you can backup the dns servers tlater easily with vzdump and make snapshots before you update software etc.
Old 15th February 2012, 18:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by till View Post
So if you want to manage virtual servers with openvz, then you could e.g. install ispconfig as described in the openvz guide, then create openvz virtual machines in ispconfig and install the dns servers inside these virtual machines. The benefit is that you can backup the dns servers tlater easily with vzdump and make snapshots before you update software etc.
This actually sounds like it may be the best option, Thank you Till!
Old 16th February 2012, 07:45

So I brought the server home to re-install according to this

http://www.howtoforge.com/installing...g-3-debian-6.0

and I got to the ISPConfig install and tried to add it as a slave, which obviously didn't work because I am at home and not at the office.... Is there a way to add it as the slave later, or should I just wait to get it back to the office before setting it up?
Old 16th February 2012, 08:38
Super Moderator

Quote:
or should I just wait to get it back to the office before setting it up?
The connection from master to slave has been done during ispconfig installation, it cant be done later. So it might be better if you wait.
Old 16th February 2012, 08:40

ok, thanks, I couldn't find anything concrete saying that, but I also couldn't find or think of a way to do it otherwise.