Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 3 > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 5th December 2011, 18:18

Default ISPConfig 3 - switch to nginx/php-fpm

Hi there,

Hoping this topic hasn't been covered but is there a relatively painless way to switch an existing ISPConfig 3.0.4.1 installation with Apache2 to Nginx + php-fpm.

I'm running several wordpress sites and apache/suPHP is sucking the life out of my server.

Would be ideal if there's a way to do the above whilst preserving existing ispconfig settings/config.

This is on Ubuntu 11.10 btw.

Thanks.

Nik
Sponsored Links
Old 5th December 2011, 19:34
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,420 Times in 4,262 Posts

Quote:
I'm running several wordpress sites and apache/suPHP is sucking the life out of my server.
Suphp is the slowest possible option. It should not be used for any cms systems like wordpress, joomla etc. Go to website settings and enable the suxec checkbox, then select php mode php-fcgi, the result will be a php setup that runs your site under the website user like suphp, just several times faster.

Then login on the shell and run thiese commands:

apt-get install php5-xcache
/etc/init.d/apache2 restart

your server load will be much lower now and your sites will load fast.

Quote:
is there a relatively painless way to switch an existing ISPConfig 3.0.4.1 installation with Apache2 to Nginx + php-fpm.
There isnt any and if you use any wordpress plugins that use custom rules in a .htaccess file, then its likely that you break the sites by switching to nginx. As I explained above, the switch is normally not nescessary, you just used bad settings for apache.
Old 5th December 2011, 19:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by till View Post
Suphp is the slowest possible option. It should not be used for any cms systems like wordpress, joomla etc. Go to website settings and enable the suxec checkbox, then select php mode php-fcgi, the result will be a php setup that runs your site under the website user like suphp, just several times faster.

Then login on the shell and run thiese commands:

apt-get install php5-xcache
/etc/init.d/apache2 restart

your server load will be much lower now and your sites will load fast.

There isnt any and if you use any wordpress plugins that use custom rules in a .htaccess file, then its likely that you break the sites by switching to nginx. As I explained above, the switch is normally not nescessary, you just used bad settings for apache.
Thanks for the tips. Actually went with suphp for the simplicity of not messing around with group owners and permissions. Wordpress gets a bit finicky when it comes to permissions.

Last time I ran fcgi, I was getting plenty of error 500s at different intervals (didn't get a chance to investigate). Maybe I'll give it another whirl.

I am running APC already, is xcache still an option? Haven't heard of it until recently.

P.S. I'm a java server guy btw so pretty new to php sites so excuse the ignorance.
Old 5th December 2011, 19:54
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,420 Times in 4,262 Posts

Quote:
Thanks for the tips. Actually went with suphp for the simplicity of not messing around with group owners and permissions. Wordpress gets a bit finicky when it comes to permissions.
Then you must have missed to enable suexec. As suxece plus php does the same then suphp, just much faster. suphp is a bad option as it starts a complete new php process for every incoming request while fcgi reuses them and runs as a kind of daemon. If you are a java gui, how slow would java be if you would start a fresh new java instance for every incoming http request instead of reusing them and running requests from the same instance

Quote:
Last time I ran fcgi, I was getting plenty of error 500s at different intervals (didn't get a chance to investigate).
Check the error.log of the website for the reason of the error. I run several wordpress sites without any problems.

Quote:
I am running APC already, is xcache still an option? Haven't heard of it until recently.
APC is fine, basically the ame as xcache. I prefer xcache as its available as package from the ubuntu repositories so that it gets updated with php and has not be recompiled manually.

Last edited by till; 5th December 2011 at 19:57.