Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 3 > General

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 1st June 2011, 03:37

Default Postfix: mail transport unavailable

Hi there,

I've just moved to a new dedi using ubuntu 10.04.2 following linodes setup guide for ISPConfig. http://library.linode.com/web-applic...tu-10.04-lucid

Everything seems to be working as intended other than my mail server. Firstly i had issues with ClamAV to which i disabled, however now i seem to be receiving the error "mail transport unavaliable". I have about 80 emails waiting in the mailqueue.

Here is the output from "postconf -n"

Code:
alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
append_dot_mydomain = no
biff = no
body_checks = regexp:/etc/postfix/body_checks
broken_sasl_auth_clients = yes
config_directory = /etc/postfix
header_checks = regexp:/etc/postfix/header_checks
html_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix/html
inet_interfaces = all
mailbox_size_limit = 0
mime_header_checks = regexp:/etc/postfix/mime_header_checks
mydestination = iwader.co.uk, localhost, localhost.localdomain
myhostname = iwader.co.uk
mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8 [::1]/128
myorigin = /etc/mailname
nested_header_checks = regexp:/etc/postfix/nested_header_checks
proxy_read_maps = $local_recipient_maps $mydestination $virtual_alias_maps $virt                                                                                                 ual_alias_domains $virtual_mailbox_maps $virtual_mailbox_domains $relay_recipien                                                                                                 t_maps $relay_domains $canonical_maps $sender_canonical_maps $recipient_canonica                                                                                                 l_maps $relocated_maps $transport_maps $mynetworks $virtual_mailbox_limit_maps
readme_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix
recipient_delimiter = +
relay_domains = mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual_relaydomains.cf
relay_recipient_maps = mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual_relayrecipientmaps.cf
relayhost =
smtp_tls_session_cache_database = btree:${data_directory}/smtp_scache
smtpd_banner = $myhostname ESMTP $mail_name (Ubuntu)
smtpd_client_restrictions = check_client_access mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual                                                                                                 _client.cf
smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_mynetworks, permit_sasl_authenticated, che                                                                                                 ck_recipient_access mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual_recipient.cf, reject_unauth                                                                                                 _destination
smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes
smtpd_sasl_authenticated_header = yes
smtpd_sender_restrictions = check_sender_access mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual                                                                                                 _sender.cf
smtpd_tls_cert_file = /etc/postfix/smtpd.cert
smtpd_tls_key_file = /etc/postfix/smtpd.key
smtpd_tls_security_level = may
smtpd_tls_session_cache_database = btree:${data_directory}/smtpd_scache
smtpd_use_tls = yes
transport_maps = proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual_transports.cf
virtual_alias_domains =
virtual_alias_maps = proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual_forwardings.cf, mysq                                                                                                 l:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual_email2email.cf
virtual_gid_maps = static:5000
virtual_mailbox_base = /var/vmail
virtual_mailbox_domains = proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual_domains.cf
virtual_mailbox_maps = proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual_mailboxes.cf
virtual_transport = maildrop
virtual_uid_maps = static:5000
As far as i know all my dns is exactly the same as before (updated to the new ip ofcourse)
Sponsored Links
Old 1st June 2011, 13:57
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,228 Times in 4,098 Posts

How did you disable clamav? If you simply stopped it, then it will stop also mail delivery. Please see ISPConfig FAQ for instructions on how disable mail filtering:

http://www.faqforge.com/linux/contro...n-ispconfig-3/
Old 1st June 2011, 15:35

Yes thats the same guide i followed to disable it, however looking at the error logs this morning it would seem its still trying to use Amavis.

Code:
Jun 1 08:41:05 velocity postfix/qmgr[22287]: warning: connect to transport private/amavis: Connection refused
This line appears in the warn logs many times, even though the use of Amavis and ClamAV has been disabled.
Old 3rd November 2011, 22:00

Apologies for "bumping" this post, but I had the same issue and was able to find a resolution that seems to be worth documenting.

I, too, followed the guide at http://www.faqforge.com/linux/contro...n-ispconfig-3/ in order to disable Amavis and ClamAV on a low-memory server.

Of course, at the time, I did not absorb the most important piece of the article, which is at the bottom (should it be moved to the top?):

Quote:
The changes in postfix main.cf will get overwitten by a ispconfig software update when you select to reconfigure services during upadte, so you should comment out the lines again after you install a ispconfig update.
After performing ISPConfig3 and OS updates, mail delivery ceased to function. I'm not sure if I elected to reconfigure services, but if that is the default, then I probably did.

Issuing the command

Code:
# egrep '(warning|error|fatal|panic):' /var/log/mail.log | more
made it apparent that the problem was indeed Amavis:

Code:
postfix/qmgr[XXXX]: warning: connect to transport private/amavis: Connection refused
After examining

Code:
/etc/postfix/main.cf
I noticed that the lines I had commented per the KB article cited above were re-added at the bottom:

Code:
content_filter = amavis:[127.0.0.1]:10024
receive_override_options = no_address_mappings
So, I re-commented the lines and restarted Postfix.

Still, the problem was not resolved... until I re-queued all of the previously-queued mail:

Code:
# postsuper -r ALL
Problem solved.

I'm no expert in this regard, but it seems that Postfix may have been using cached configuration files (even though I had restarted the service several times after re-commenting the lines in question), as evidenced by

Code:
# grep -r "amavis" /etc/postfix
/etc/postfix/master.cf:#amavis unix - - - - 2 smtp
/etc/postfix/main.cf:#content_filter = amavis:[127.0.0.1]:10024
/etc/postfix/main.cf~:#content_filter = amavis:[127.0.0.1]:10024
/etc/postfix/main.cf~:content_filter = amavis:[127.0.0.1]:10024
/etc/postfix/master.cf~:#amavis unix - - - - 2 smtp
/etc/postfix/main.cf~3:#content_filter = amavis:[127.0.0.1]:10024
/etc/postfix/main.cf~2:#content_filter = amavis:[127.0.0.1]:10024
/etc/postfix/main.cf.bak:#content_filter = amavis:[127.0.0.1]:10024
/etc/postfix/main.cf.bak:content_filter = amavis:[127.0.0.1]:10024
Any expert comments as to why re-queuing the undelivered mail resolved the issue are appreciated.
Old 4th November 2011, 09:43
Super Moderator

Quote:
Any expert comments as to why re-queuing the undelivered mail resolved the issue are appreciated.
What you describe here is the normal behaviour of postfix and not related to any config file caching. A restart of postfix doe snot requeue emails. If a email delivery fails temporarily, postfix adds the email to to the queue and retries delivery after a given timespan or when the messages are requeued manually.
Old 4th November 2011, 18:35

Thanks for the clarification, Till.

Given your remarks, I have another question

After re-commenting the applicable lines in Postfix's configuration file and restarting the service, I attempted to flush the mail queue with

Code:
# postqueue -f
The queued messages still failed to be delivered.

So, once mail is queued while Amavis is mis-configured, said mail cannot be delivered successfully with a flush (even after the configuration issues are resolved)? The mail must be re-queued, instead?
Old 4th November 2011, 18:54
Super Moderator

amavisd acts similar to a mailserver, just that it listens only on localhost with IP 10024. If a mail is received by postfix and the postfix configuration redirected the email to this "internal" mailserver on port 10024, then a postqueue -f will just try to redeliver the emails to amavisd as amavisd is stored as next step for email processing in the mail inside the mailqueue while a full requeue will tell postfix to act as if the email is received again so that it decides again where to deliver the email.
The Following User Says Thank You to till For This Useful Post:
cbj4074 (4th November 2011)