Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 3 > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 15th July 2011, 21:17
Skprorok Skprorok is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 56
Thanks: 8
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile Best way to migrate whole ISPConfig 3 server to another?

Is there any way to do this?

Thanks for your response
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 16th July 2011, 00:40
erosbk erosbk is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 337
Thanks: 49
Thanked 36 Times in 30 Posts
Default

Only ISPConfig3 or a server with ispconfig 3, mail, ftp, sites, etc?

Regards
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 16th July 2011, 00:57
Skprorok Skprorok is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 56
Thanks: 8
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by erosbk View Post
Only ISPConfig3 or a server with ispconfig 3, mail, ftp, sites, etc?

Regards
Server with ISPConfig 3, Mail, ftp, sites, mail accounts, e-mails etc.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 16th July 2011, 03:46
erosbk erosbk is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 337
Thanks: 49
Thanked 36 Times in 30 Posts
Default

I think that the best way could be to install all the new server, and then, migrate all databases and files... I think that there is no better way than this... you can move your disks directly, but, I don't know how kernel controls the driver parts...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 24th October 2011, 03:30
voidzero voidzero is offline
HowtoForge Supporter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 63
Thanks: 11
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Have a look here - http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/arc...p/t-35907.html

I wonder how hexfusion has solved the last thing till mentioned... I plan to do a migration tomorrow.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 24th October 2011, 12:26
yucktoufoo yucktoufoo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 36
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I need to do this also but my ISPConfig3 server is dedicated (hopefully this makes things a little simple to migrate the ISPConfig server istelf). All sites/email/databases are on other servers.

I'm reluctant to start my migration as there seems to be no clear instruction on how to migrate, there really ought to be a solid guide to doing this as I would think its a fairly common request.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 25th October 2011, 01:05
voidzero voidzero is offline
HowtoForge Supporter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 63
Thanks: 11
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yucktoufoo View Post
I need to do this also but my ISPConfig3 server is dedicated (hopefully this makes things a little simple to migrate the ISPConfig server istelf). All sites/email/databases are on other servers.
So basically you only need to configure new locations? Lucky you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yucktoufoo View Post
I'm reluctant to start my migration as there seems to be no clear instruction on how to migrate, there really ought to be a solid guide to doing this as I would think its a fairly common request.
Well, I'd agree with you if we were paying customers with paid support.... this is not the case, though. I don't want to put it all on the devs' plates. Especially because I have never seen people who work as dedicated and structurally donate most of their work into the public realm as till and falko.

Migration can't be too bad. After till's last hint regarding password location, maybe a simple grep will suffice. We'll have to see... I'll post my results here after the merge.

(I had delay due to offline and online troubles. Fortunately my ISP, NQHost, has been lightning fast to help me with some of the issues. I can recommend this company, they're great.)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 25th October 2011, 01:32
yucktoufoo yucktoufoo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 36
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by voidzero View Post
So basically you only need to configure new locations? Lucky you...
Right now I hope so, although the mail web and db servers all need to be migrated too at some point.


Quote:
Originally Posted by voidzero View Post
Well, I'd agree with you if we were paying customers with paid support.... this is not the case, though. I don't want to put it all on the devs' plates. Especially because I have never seen people who work as dedicated and structurally donate most of their work into the public realm as till and falko.
I did purchase the manual which should cover migration really but I do see your point

Quote:
Originally Posted by voidzero View Post
Migration can't be too bad. After till's last hint regarding password location, maybe a simple grep will suffice. We'll have to see... I'll post my results here after the merge.

(I had delay due to offline and online troubles. Fortunately my ISP, NQHost, has been lightning fast to help me with some of the issues. I can recommend this company, they're great.)
Hopefully it will go smoothly, looking forward to hearing about it.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 25th October 2011, 14:12
voidzero voidzero is offline
HowtoForge Supporter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 63
Thanks: 11
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Ok, data from /var/vmail, /var/www and /var/lib/mysql has been copied. Next up: data from named (/etc/bind), and ispconfig's config at /usr/local/ispconfig/interface/lib/config.inc.php and /usr/local/ispconfig/server/lib/config.inc.php. Then I'll update /etc/passwd and /etc/group with the old info, and run pwck and grpck, probably followed by pwconv and grpconv. Then I'll grep a few common locations (/etc e.g.) for the password that's stored in ispconfig's config files... because postfix and other stuff also uses it.

It may be a bumpy ride, but it has to be done...
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 25th October 2011, 14:33
till till is online now
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lüneburg, Germany
Posts: 35,453
Thanks: 813
Thanked 5,222 Times in 4,092 Posts
 
Default

Dont forget to migrate /var/log/ispconfig/httpd/ as it contains the log files for all websites.
__________________
Till Brehm
--
Get ISPConfig support and the ISPConfig 3 manual from ispconfig.org.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Version 1.3 of the ISPConfig 3 Manual is finally available! falko General 44 2nd December 2011 12:04
ISPConfig 3 - CentOS 5.4 - SSL Problems!?! owainbaber Installation/Configuration 4 26th July 2011 17:12
Not working emails (DNS and postfix problem?) shekiman Installation/Configuration 9 1st March 2011 16:25
Hosting multiple websites and webmail dmwcool Installation/Configuration 8 30th March 2010 03:15
Problem with keeping Apache alive bobeq Server Operation 3 29th November 2007 16:11


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 18:01.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.