Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 3 > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 15th July 2011, 21:17

Smile Best way to migrate whole ISPConfig 3 server to another?

Is there any way to do this?

Thanks for your response
Sponsored Links
Old 16th July 2011, 00:40

Only ISPConfig3 or a server with ispconfig 3, mail, ftp, sites, etc?

Regards
Old 16th July 2011, 00:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by erosbk View Post
Only ISPConfig3 or a server with ispconfig 3, mail, ftp, sites, etc?

Regards
Server with ISPConfig 3, Mail, ftp, sites, mail accounts, e-mails etc.
Old 16th July 2011, 03:46

I think that the best way could be to install all the new server, and then, migrate all databases and files... I think that there is no better way than this... you can move your disks directly, but, I don't know how kernel controls the driver parts...
Old 24th October 2011, 03:30
HowtoForge Supporter

Have a look here - http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/arc...p/t-35907.html

I wonder how hexfusion has solved the last thing till mentioned... I plan to do a migration tomorrow.
Old 24th October 2011, 12:26

I need to do this also but my ISPConfig3 server is dedicated (hopefully this makes things a little simple to migrate the ISPConfig server istelf). All sites/email/databases are on other servers.

I'm reluctant to start my migration as there seems to be no clear instruction on how to migrate, there really ought to be a solid guide to doing this as I would think its a fairly common request.
Old 25th October 2011, 01:05
HowtoForge Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yucktoufoo View Post
I need to do this also but my ISPConfig3 server is dedicated (hopefully this makes things a little simple to migrate the ISPConfig server istelf). All sites/email/databases are on other servers.
So basically you only need to configure new locations? Lucky you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yucktoufoo View Post
I'm reluctant to start my migration as there seems to be no clear instruction on how to migrate, there really ought to be a solid guide to doing this as I would think its a fairly common request.
Well, I'd agree with you if we were paying customers with paid support.... this is not the case, though. I don't want to put it all on the devs' plates. Especially because I have never seen people who work as dedicated and structurally donate most of their work into the public realm as till and falko.

Migration can't be too bad. After till's last hint regarding password location, maybe a simple grep will suffice. We'll have to see... I'll post my results here after the merge.

(I had delay due to offline and online troubles. Fortunately my ISP, NQHost, has been lightning fast to help me with some of the issues. I can recommend this company, they're great.)
Old 25th October 2011, 01:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by voidzero View Post
So basically you only need to configure new locations? Lucky you...
Right now I hope so, although the mail web and db servers all need to be migrated too at some point.

Quote:
Well, I'd agree with you if we were paying customers with paid support.... this is not the case, though. I don't want to put it all on the devs' plates. Especially because I have never seen people who work as dedicated and structurally donate most of their work into the public realm as till and falko.
I did purchase the manual which should cover migration really but I do see your point

Quote:
Migration can't be too bad. After till's last hint regarding password location, maybe a simple grep will suffice. We'll have to see... I'll post my results here after the merge.

(I had delay due to offline and online troubles. Fortunately my ISP, NQHost, has been lightning fast to help me with some of the issues. I can recommend this company, they're great.)
Hopefully it will go smoothly, looking forward to hearing about it.
Old 25th October 2011, 14:12
HowtoForge Supporter

Ok, data from /var/vmail, /var/www and /var/lib/mysql has been copied. Next up: data from named (/etc/bind), and ispconfig's config at /usr/local/ispconfig/interface/lib/config.inc.php and /usr/local/ispconfig/server/lib/config.inc.php. Then I'll update /etc/passwd and /etc/group with the old info, and run pwck and grpck, probably followed by pwconv and grpconv. Then I'll grep a few common locations (/etc e.g.) for the password that's stored in ispconfig's config files... because postfix and other stuff also uses it.

It may be a bumpy ride, but it has to be done...
Old 25th October 2011, 14:33
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,222 Times in 4,092 Posts

Dont forget to migrate /var/log/ispconfig/httpd/ as it contains the log files for all websites.