Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > Server Operation

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 14th October 2008, 10:58

Default Send mails via telnet on minimalistic linux - any help appreciated!

Hi there!

I am new to this forum and don't know much about Linux, so please be kind. I tried the search function, but either I didn't know what exactly to search for or there are no topics to help me. Anyway...

I've recently bought a NAS (Conceptronic CH3SNAS), that runs a minimalistic Linux by default. With a special script (fun_plug), it can be turned from a black box into a white box, allowing Telnet/SSH access, the installation of packages etc. This works pretty fine, except for one thing I simply couldn't accomplish:

I want to start smartd on boot (which I guess should be fairly easy, I know how to theoretically do that) and send smartd reports via email. This way I could monitor my HDD health without having to log on all the time.

I do not know what Linux is running on the box, I think there's something called Busybox but I'm not sure whether that is a distribution. I installed all available packages (I think they're listed here: http://www.inreto.de/dns323/fun-plug/0.5/PACKAGES.html), including mailx and esmtp. In /ffp/bin (/ffp is the main directory of the fun_plug installation) there is a file "sendmail" too.

I read all the documentations and man pages, but that stuff is far too advanced for me. :-( All I want to do is to set up smartd to send me mail reports about special occurrences. While I think I can handle the smartd.conf syntax, esmtp seems out of reach.

This essentially is what I have in smartd.conf:

Code:
/dev/sda -d marvell -m tab3@example.com -M exec /ffp/bin/esmtp -M test
/dev/sdb -d marvell -m tab3@example.com -M exec /ffp/bin/esmtp -M test
When running smartd, this is what I get (the interesting part at least):

Quote:
Executing test of /ffp/bin/esmtp to tab3@example.com ...
Test of /ffp/bin/esmtp to tab3@example.com produced unexpected output (112 bytes) to STDOUT/STDERR:
0 (null)
tab3@example.com: 0 (null)
procmail: Unknown user "smart error (emailtest) detected on host: nurunas"

Test of /ffp/bin/esmtp to tab3@example.com: failed (32-bit/8-bit exit status: 17920/70)
Executing test of /ffp/bin/esmtp to tab3@example.com ...
Test of /ffp/bin/esmtp to tab3@example.com produced unexpected output (112 bytes) to STDOUT/STDERR:
0 (null)
tab3@example.com: 0 (null)
procmail: Unknown user "smart error (emailtest) detected on host: nurunas"

Test of /ffp/bin/esmtp to tab3@example.com: failed (32-bit/8-bit exit status: 17920/70)
My esmtprc looks like this:

Code:
hostname = post.strato.de:25
username = "tab3@example.com"
password = "myPass"
force sender = "NAS Admin"

mda "/ffp/bin/procmail -d %T"
procmail in /ffp/etc looks like this:

Code:
# Please check if all the paths in PATH are reachable,
# remove the ones that are not.

PATH=$HOME/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:.
MAILDIR=/ffp/mail # You'd better make sure it exists
DEFAULT=$MAILDIR/mbox
LOGFILE=$MAILDIR/from
LOCKFILE=$HOME/.lockmail
I guess I'm doing a lot of things wrong here, as I don't really know what I am doing at all. Can anyone help me fix this mess? If you need any further info, please tell me. If I could finish smartd config, I'd be ready to use the CH3SNAS productively.

Greetings
Ben
Sponsored Links
Old 3rd October 2011, 13:06

Default Sending mail under NAS/ffp

Ben/nurunet: your questions are very interesting and relevant. I have many of the same questions.

Have you received anwers to your questions (or discovered them by yourself), and can you post them?

TIA

MaryG
Old 8th October 2011, 18:56

Hey Mary,

I am very sorry - I have to disappoint you. I never solved the problem and just stuck to checking the SMART status manually from time to time. :-(

All the best,
Ben