Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 3 > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 27th September 2011, 17:33

Send a message via Skype™ to Skyflash
Default Wordpress and client scheduled db backup

Hi!
i have a question related to Wordpress, ISPConfig 3 (CentOS 5.5 x64) and some plugins that make backups of the database (i.e.: WP-DB Backup)

We installed and configured ISPConfig following the CentOS 5,5 Perfect Server hotwo, and all seems happy. The user connects via FTP, is able to load his Worpdress, makes the db, installs Worpdress and more.

But every plugin that requires a schedule, as the db backup, don't works. If i (as user, not admin) make it in manual mode, the db backup is ok. If i set a schedule, the backup does not.

Someone can help me, pls?

P.S.: sorry for my bad english
Sponsored Links
Old 27th September 2011, 18:02
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,375 Times in 4,222 Posts

Most likely you try to run a php script with the php binary directly which can not work in a jailed cronjob as the php binary is outside of the jail. Instead of using the php binary, insert just the url to the script in the command field of the cronjob in ispconfig like this:

http://yourdomain.tld/mycronscript.php

ISPConfig will then take care that the script under that url is executed at the scheduled times.
Old 28th September 2011, 09:38

Quote:
Most likely you try to run a php script with the php binary directly which can not work in a jailed cronjob as the php binary is outside of the jail. Instead of using the php binary, insert just the url to the script in the command field of the cronjob in ispconfig like this:

http://yourdomain.tld/mycronscript.php

ISPConfig will then take care that the script under that url is executed at the scheduled times.
Ok, thanks. I'll try in some hours. But... other question: why in other panels, like cPanel and Plesk this "problem" isn't present and scheduled backups via the wp-db backup plugn works perfectly?
Old 28th September 2011, 09:51
Super Moderator

There is nos such problem in ispconfig, as this all depends on the settings that you have choosen while you created the client in ispconfig. If you can run any binary as cronjob depends on your security settings. If you allow normal (not jailed) cronjobs in the client settings, then you can run your cronjob like you do it in cpanel. But ISPConfig has some more secure methods available for cronjobs like jailed cronjobs or url cronjobs which are active by default. You might want to take a look into the ispconfig manual which explains the different options.
Old 28th September 2011, 11:19

Quote:
There is nos such problem in ispconfig, as this all depends on the settings that you have choosen while you created the client in ispconfig. If you can run any binary as cronjob depends on your security settings. If you allow normal (not jailed) cronjobs in the client settings, then you can run your cronjob like you do it in cpanel. But ISPConfig has some more secure methods available for cronjobs like jailed cronjobs or url cronjobs which are active by default. You might want to take a look into the ispconfig manual which explains the different options.
Thanks again
I think i understood, and i'll try late today

Last question, please: there's no way, in ISPConfig, to make it runs cron jobs via the plugins i said, but without the need the user sets his own cron jobs in the panel?

I have (as client) two domains hosted in cPanel and Plesk, and i have no need to set any cron job in the panel. I activate the plugin, i schedule the backup, and it runs perfectly

Sorry again for my bad english. You know, i'm looking for a "idiot-proof" way to set backups for our clients that runs Wordpress
Old 28th September 2011, 11:23
Super Moderator

I dont know how the plugin that you use works, so I can not tell you why it works differently on other controlpanels. It might e.g. be that the plugin recognizes the controlpanel and then creates a special config for plesk.