Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 3 > General

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 22nd September 2011, 11:05

Linux isn't my strong
How do I do this, just type in these at the command prompt ?

Sorry Mark...
Sponsored Links
Old 22nd September 2011, 12:16

You can disable the Firewall functionality in ISPConfig web interface .. that should clear the complete iptables config and set all to default.

System -> Server Services -> select servers -> uncheck "Firewall" .. after a minute the cron should make the changes and then run:

Code:
iptables-save
for me, and show me the output

http://www.e-rave.nl/
Old 23rd September 2011, 03:22

Mailserver
Webserver
DNS-Server
Fileserver
DB-Server
VServer-Server
Are the only services ???
No Firewall tab
Old 23rd September 2011, 09:36
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,727 Times in 2,565 Posts

It's on System > Firewall.

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Old 23rd September 2011, 09:57

ow yes, i'm sorry, my bad .. "Firewall" option is in svn ;-)

http://www.e-rave.nl/
Old 23rd September 2011, 10:13

Removal of the Firewall tick cause the ssh to fail
Which means I have to travel to the server to restart the service
Old 24th September 2011, 11:04
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,727 Times in 2,565 Posts

Is there maybe another firewall interfering with ISPConfig's firewall? That's the only explanation I have, because ISPConfig does not stop or restart SSH.

Don't you have a rescue system on your server?

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Old 24th September 2011, 15:03

Okay No Rescue system make a good tutorial (to late now)
Have put a windows server on the address and there is no port blocked from router
Put the ISPconfig box on and now all ports are closed
I have noticed the is a big failure in ISPconfig with the only fix so far of reloading the whole box, of which you already know that.....
This make me raise great concerns
I have been following ISPconfig for years now and have noticed that a lot of the problems end very quick with no resolution. This just validates to me that it was a reload

Guy this is a great product, don't let it slip away from ya
To me this is a learning curve away from windows and these bumps are the facts of life

All we look for is solutions and so far there all 2 pages there is nothing
So can anyone point me in the right direction
Old 24th September 2011, 17:56
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,240 Times in 4,108 Posts

You mix up several things here. Servers are complex systems consisting of thousands of individual applications. Many problems reported here are not caused or directly related to ispconfig. For example, falko explained to you above that the ssh stop on your server cousld not have been initiated by ispconfig, as ispconfig is not able to do that. It does not contain any code thatconfigures or starts / stops a ssh daemon. Not every problem that happens in a near time after a action that you did is caused by that action.

Your system has no visible signs in iptables or netstat that the problem is related to the server software. I looked onto your server directly and i am not able to find any problem on that servr too, everything works fine and there is definatley no firewall active on the server. Mysql is listening on the external ip and i can connect to mysql on this ip if i use the mysql command. So complaining here that poeple who did not had the chance to look directly at your serevr were not able to answer the problem while i could confirm that there is really no direct problem on the server, is a bit hard in my opinion.

So maybe we should take a step back and you explain your network topology. For example, why can i only connect to your linux server from a windows system which seems to be in the same subnet while iam not able to connect to the server from outside. This is normally a strong indication that there is a external firewall or similar software that blocks requests from the internet into that subnet.

And one additional question, is your problem only about accessing mysql or do you have problems with other ports as well. If you mena just ssl, are you sure that you do not mix up that mysql is inaccessible with the error that remote access might be disabled fora specific mysql user? For example, the root mysql user has no external access priveliges by default. So you have to create a new mysql root user with host # in phpmyadmin to acess the databses with the root user. If you created the databse user in ispconfig, you can enable external access by checking the external access checkbox.

Last edited by till; 24th September 2011 at 18:03.
Old 25th September 2011, 02:31

Okay soon far I have
Phyically removed the linux box and put in a windows test box on the same connection and ip address. All impotant ports are open and access is straight through. then I checked via a online port scanner via external source all okay

Next I put the Linux box back in and connected up on the same connections. rechecked and found that all ports are closed, no connection from external resources.
Then I changed ip address and still the same results

Topology is a simple, Router-Hub branching out to servers. There is DNS's, Mail and web servers on there own ip address range

Problem stared with me trying to setup remote mysql on port 3306 via backend. It failed so I reversed my step and set it back the way it was.
That when I discovered that all port were blocked from external WAN address. But local LAN address are fine

Linux isn't my strength and as I stated above, this is a learning curve
But Window Box and networks are my strong points are and all these are tell me that the problem is in the linix box.

I haven't figured out how the linix firewall apache2 and ISPconf interact. but this good and these are great system.