Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 3 > Tips/Tricks/Mods

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 27th June 2011, 00:28

Angry domain block similar to shelluser_blacklist

Is there a file similar to shelluser_blacklist for domains?

Let's say I want to prevent the creation of sites (i.e. how2forge.com, twitter.com, google.com, microsoft.com, apple.com) from the ISPConfig interface. What's the best way to achieve this? (I realize I could create them under an account that I never use, but that seems excessive. I don't need to load that many sites, I just want to block them from being used anywhere in ISPConfig.)
Sponsored Links
Old 27th June 2011, 09:38
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,740 Times in 2,575 Posts

You can use the Domain module. It lets the administrator specify a list of domains for use in ISPConfig.

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Old 27th June 2011, 17:17

Appreciate the quick reply. I enabled the module, read the domain module sections in the ISPConfig 3 manual (that I bought ), and I trolled the forums a bit on the subject.

It sounds like to accomplish shelluser_blacklist like functionality I have two options using the Domain Module:

Option 1) Add a list of blacklisted domains, one-at-a-time, to my admin account in which case no one would see them (but, the admin user would on every screen where they could add a domain - ie. Email Domain Add, Site Add, Shell User Add, FTP User Add, etc.).

Option 2) Create a dummy admin/holding account where I would add each of these blacklisted domains to, one-at-a-time, to this holding account so it won't show elsewhere.

Am I correct?
Old 28th June 2011, 11:09
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,331 Times in 4,183 Posts

You can never block all external domains like this simply because you can not add all these millions of domains to a blacklist. For that resaon, you normally use the opposite approach for such a problem as it is implemented in the domain module. So you dont blacklist domains, instaed you whitleist domains and assign them to your clients by using the domain module.
Old 30th June 2011, 06:23

Sorry, for not being clear. I'm not trying to checks if a domain already exists nor do I want to populate a table with millions or even hundreds of records.

It's the very same rational as the shelluser_blacklist file: There are user names that you want to block for obvious reasons. The same seems logic seems rational with domains/sites/email domains. Obviously anyone creating a site Microsoft, Dell, or HowToForge is bogus. Or say I were the Champions League and I was opening the ability for fans to create fan sites. I would want to block them from creating 20-100 sites with a domain_blocklist like:

manchesterunited.tld
fcbarcelona.*
chelseafc.*

Anyhow, by the two replys I received, it doesn't sound like this or anything similar exists.