Old 31st May 2011, 05:43

Default FCGI problem, help!!!

If my site is using mod_php, this script works perfect.

If I use FastCGI, I get an error 500 page... Is it possible that each page actually running ok in mod_php runs ok in fastcgi, or problems like this are common? please help! by the way, how can I make it work?

Thanks!

<?php
$mail= 'admin@test.com.ar';
$asunto= 'testing';
$cuerpo= 'testing from web';
$envio = mail($mail,$asunto,$cuerpo);

if($envio == true)
{
echo'Send status:<br/>Sent ok!<br/>';
}
else
{
echo'Send status:<br/>Error sending!<br/>';
}
?>

Edit: Added SuEXEC to site and it works perfectly... FastCGI+SuEXEC is a must? thanks

Edit2: my mails are being sending, with this script (FastCGI+SuEXEC) from sender: "web2@servername.domain.com". How can I change this for every website to be admin@userdomain.com (for example, would be great to us ServerAdmin as default sender!!)

Really, thanks for your help, this are the last details that I have to correct in order to launch servers into production state!

Last edited by erosbk; 31st May 2011 at 06:08.
Sponsored Links
Old 31st May 2011, 12:21
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,205 Times in 4,081 Posts

Quote:
Edit: Added SuEXEC to site and it works perfectly... FastCGI+SuEXEC is a must? thanks
No. But it is required for most scripts, otherwise the scripts run under the wrong user.

Quote:
Edit2: my mails are being sending, with this script (FastCGI+SuEXEC) from sender: "web2@servername.domain.com". How can I change this for every website to be admin@userdomain.com (for example, would be great to us ServerAdmin as default sender!!)
The sender address is set automatically by php to the name of the linux system user @ the hostname of your server if no sender address is set in your script. Have you set the sender address in your scripts?
Old 31st May 2011, 13:43

Quote:
No. But it is required for most scripts, otherwise the scripts run under the wrong user.
Then my scripts must work without suexec? why I get an error 500 without fastcgi with that simple script? (i will use suexec in everysite because what you said, but I just want to know why e500).

Quote:
The sender address is set automatically by php to the name of the linux system user @ the hostname of your server if no sender address is set in your script. Have you set the sender address in your scripts?
No, I am not setting a sender. Is there a way to change this "default sender" of php? If I set mod_php, the sender is "webmaster@userdomain.com" instead "user@hostname".

By the way, I need to restrict sender to be ONLY xxxx@samedomain.com (samedomain of the site, to avoid abuse). Is there a way to do this?

Thanks!
Old 31st May 2011, 14:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by erosbk View Post
No, I am not setting a sender. Is there a way to change this "default sender" of php? If I set mod_php, the sender is "webmaster@userdomain.com" instead "user@hostname".
Add the "-f" option to your PHP mail code.
PHP Code:
mail('to@blah.com','subject!','body!','From: from@blah.com','-f from@blah.com'); 
More info @ http://php.net/manual/en/function.mail.php
Old 31st May 2011, 15:00
Super Moderator

Quote:
Then my scripts must work without suexec? why I get an error 500 without fastcgi with that simple script? (i will use suexec in everysite because what you said, but I just want to know why e500).
Take a look in the error.log of the website, yozu will find the error message there that explains the reason.
Old 31st May 2011, 15:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge View Post
Add the "-f" option to your PHP mail code.
PHP Code:
mail('to@blah.com','subject!','body!','From: from@blah.com','-f from@blah.com'); 
More info @ http://php.net/manual/en/function.mail.php
Thank you but, I am needing to set a default sender, in case the owner of a vhost use phpmail function without a from (using, for example, the code that I wrote in the first post). Do you know how to do it? if I set a vsite with mod_php, a default address is set in the vhost file, I want to do something like it :P

Thanks in advance!
Old 31st May 2011, 15:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by till View Post
Take a look in the error.log of the website, yozu will find the error message there that explains the reason.
Thanks, the error message was:

Code:
[Tue May 31 00:37:58 2011] [warn] [client 190.18.77.3] (104)Connection reset by peer: mod_fcgid: error reading data from FastCGI server
[Tue May 31 00:37:58 2011] [error] [client 190.18.77.3] Premature end of script headers: mail.php
but, if I enable suEXEC, it works perfectly without error (always using FastCGI). Do you know why, or where to find out the answers?

Thanks for all your help
Old 31st May 2011, 20:19
Super Moderator

Most likely the apache userw as not allowed to read the php file as it is obnwed by the web user. fastcgi with sueexec executes php files as website user while fastcgi without suexec executes the php file as apache user.
The Following User Says Thank You to till For This Useful Post:
erosbk (1st June 2011)