Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 2 > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 8th April 2011, 20:16

1) Is this how ISPConfig is designed to work by default? If you set up site1 to use ssl then anyone trying to access any of the other sites securely will have site1's site displayed on their screen?

2) Please explain how to set up a default SSL vhost that catches all connections that are not targeted at your SSL site.
Sponsored Links
Old 12th April 2011, 22:11

1) Yes, no, maybe?
Old 13th April 2011, 09:03
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,322 Times in 4,175 Posts

Quote:
1) Is this how ISPConfig is designed to work by default? If you set up site1 to use ssl then anyone trying to access any of the other sites securely will have site1's site displayed on their screen?
Thats how the SSL protocol and apache are designed, its not specific to ispconfig. For that reason, you should not run other sites on the same IP address that you use for a ssl site.

Quote:
2) Please explain how to set up a default SSL vhost that catches all connections that are not targeted at your SSL site.
There is no such thing as a ssl default vhost as ssl sites are IP based and you have to use a dedicated IP address for them.
Old 13th April 2011, 15:48

Quote:
You could set up a default SSL vhost that catches all connections that are not targeted at your SSL site.
Quote:
There is no such thing as a ssl default vhost as ssl sites are IP based and you have to use a dedicated IP address for them.
The information being presented couldn't be more contradictory.

In the past I have never had a server that acted this way. If a person tried to visit a web site that didn't have an SSL cert then the user wouldn't have a different web site displayed. I will continue to work on this problem if anyone has any suggestions.

Thanks.
Old 24th May 2011, 18:31

This is solved.

I setup a default SSL host by adding another web site. I made this web appear first in the httpd.conf file. Whatever web appears first in your conf file will automatically be the default web.

Thanks everyone.