Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > Desktop Operation

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 29th March 2011, 08:03

Default Why is my desktop shutting down (power off) on its own after an hour of operation?

This is what I've done:
1) reformatted hard disk and reinstalled OS
2) Scanned for virus
3) Cleaned the processor heat sink/fan. Reapplied new heat dissipation paste under the heat sink.

BTW, its a P4 processor, running on XP. Hope to get more leads as I'm running out of ideas. Cheers. Thx.
Old 30th March 2011, 18:55
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,747 Times in 2,578 Posts

Maybe it is a temperature problem, causing the system to shut down automatically to cool down.

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Old 24th May 2011, 10:00

Hi,

Some thoughts, though ... xp/windows is not my forté/fav ...

You re-installed everything, so...exclude a virus (well, there is a debate werther windows itself is a virus but that aside). By the way, a modern virus will keep your system going, as shutting down is "leaving a trace" of its presence and it would disrupt it's own job.

The question is : who/what shuts the pc down? If it's the os, then you'll not get any restore messages at reboot, if it is the hardware (heat/electrical/...) the os would not have the time to cleanly unmount/shutdown and that would manifest itself in some parts of the system. In w98 (yes, it's that long ago I used windows) there was the disk check (blue screen) ...

A clue?

Luck!

Thor

Last edited by Linusr@flanders; 25th May 2011 at 10:11.
Old 24th May 2011, 21:22

Are you using the PC when it poweroff? the OS makes a shutdown or it looks like if you unplug the power? try to be a bit more specifyc pls
Old 28th September 2011, 14:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by debracoker View Post
This is what I've done:
2) Scanned for virus
3) Cleaned the processor heat sink/fan. Reapplied new heat dissipation paste under the heat sink.

BTW, its a P4 processor, running on XP. Hope to get more leads as I'm running out of ideas. Cheers. Thx.
Its not software problem may be its due to hardware problem check the processor sit correctly or else it may due to motherboard problem
Old 8th November 2012, 08:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by debracoker View Post
This is what I've done:
2) Scanned for virus

i think that you did n't paste well sometimes it happened. so i hope that if u re paste may be that will be help you out.
Old 21st September 2013, 16:42

in case you didn't know this so have you tried to go into the power option cause there's option to set processor power management so by default the minimum set to 5% and maximum is set to 100% so i think there's a chance that cpu can't hold onto the 5% so increase the value to 8% and try to load something if system doesn't restart then wait for in idle state
Old 8th April 2014, 13:19

With a machine that old you really have to include the power supply in the list of suspects as well as all the others listed above. If it is a straight "power off" type of shutdown, with no restart after it, then replace the power supply.

It sounds like a heat issue, and if it is a P4 with the original power supply, that PSU is getting towards 10 years old. Replace it and see what happens.