Old 28th March 2011, 22:00

Default cluster question

Hi all,

I'm newbie in ispconfig i use plesk,cpanel and vhcs and i'm going to test my first installation of ispconfig.
Thanks Till and Falko for your work it seems a very good product.
i would like to test your product to make a new pool server for our clients. For that I have few question...
I saw your tutorials about multiserver setup and replication with glusterfs.
My question is it possible to combine multi server and replication..
from yours tutorials I suppose it's possible to install multiserver setup with replication to create mirror for all servers..webserver,mailserver,dbserver. is it possible to create multiserver setup and have dnsserver with powerdns or mydns.is it a solution for production's system.

Thanks and again very nice project
Sponsored Links
Old 28th March 2011, 22:18
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,377 Times in 4,224 Posts

Yes, you can combine multiple dedicated servers and clustering. The guides just explain both setup types separately but they work also in combination.

E.g. if you have 2 dedicated mail servers in your cluster, then you can choose the second server in the "server is mirror of" settings of the first server and ispconfig will start to mirror all config changes from the first to the second server. Then you just have to make sure that both servers use a shared harddrive for the /var/vmail directory (e.g. use glusterfs or nfs or a NAS or SAN) and you have a mirrored mail server.

For the dns server, I recommend to use BIND, as you can use the ispconfig mirror feature for two bind systems as well without the need to create and maintain BIND slave zones.
Old 28th March 2011, 23:24

thanks for your reply

I have 2 others questions is it possible to have 3 servers for db,mail,web and use vps for dns servers and combine vps and dedicated servers.
Can I use glusterfs for system's production?

Thanks
Old 28th March 2011, 23:38
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,377 Times in 4,224 Posts

Quote:
I have 2 others questions is it possible to have 3 servers for db,mail,web and use vps for dns servers and combine vps and dedicated servers.
Yes. It does not matter for ispconfig if a server is a vps or real system.

Quote:
Can I use glusterfs for system's production?
Thats a good question. On some systems we had good results while other systems had problems. It mighta lso be related to the glusterfs versions used, the new versions have improved a lot. Basically you can use any technology that allows shared access to files and that supports the Linux file system permissions like nfs, glusterfs, SAN (but e.g. no smb share). I guess you will have to test that to see if it works for your setup. Generally mail shares work rather good while www shares tend to make more problems.

One thing that you should be aware of is that ispconfig creates the system users on the www servers one by one when a new website gets added, so if you want to add a user manually on a www server on the shell for whatever reason, then make sure that you do this on the master and the slave so that the linux uid numbering scheme does not get broken.
Old 31st March 2011, 19:35

Thank you very much for your help. Your control panel is beautiful...

I install it on 6 servers with each one 3*2000 go on raid 5,with debian 6.0 and glusterfs for replication. Each pool is hosting webserver,mysqlserver and mail server. The replication is working fine. I'm going to add th dns server on 3 VPS ( each VPS are on differents servers ).

Again thank you for your informations.

Last edited by versatile; 31st March 2011 at 19:38.