Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 3 > General

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 24th January 2011, 04:06

Question Simple updating question...

Sorry, I am and have been having a hard time finding this in the forums or in the ISPCONFIG 3 documentation; I know I have seen it listed here before, so hopefully, it'll be easily answered...

I know how to run th ispconfig_update.sh - BUT, isn't there a script that can be run in terminal (or any way for that matter) to run back through the installer, even though there are no updates available for ISPCONFIG 3.0.3.2?

I've looked in all of the suspect places, (like /local/ispconfig/...) yet cannot find anything that will just re-run the ISPCONFIG 3 script WITHOUT it being for an update. (I am running the current version and DON'T want to move to the SVN...)

Reading this, it sounds hard to understand; I hope it is not. Simply put some configuration changes made to my IP's and such make me think I should run the script through again for virtual addresses and such to get "noticed" and to set everything "straight" with ISPCONFIG.

Can anyone provide this for me; I am exhausted from searching!

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Old 24th January 2011, 11:16
Super Moderator

Thanked 4,980 Times in 3,901 Posts

Quote:
I know how to run th ispconfig_update.sh - BUT, isn't there a script that can be run in terminal (or any way for that matter) to run back through the installer, even though there are no updates available for ISPCONFIG 3.0.3.2?
Please see manual update instructions in the release notes:

http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50824
Old 24th January 2011, 13:31

Unhappy OK, I guess...

Quote:
Originally Posted by till View Post
Please see manual update instructions in the release notes:
http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50824
So, what, --> as lead dev. you are telling me I should write my own script then aren't you as all that one will find in that post is:

1) How to UPGRADE to a higher version or to the SVN.
2) How to perform a manual OVERWRITE install by downloading the SAME VERSION that is currently installed to the "tmp" folder and re-running that install script???

OK, I vote for an "UPDATE" script. I thought I had read it being done in one of the endless posts here. I'll write my own I suppose; although it is pure insanity it is not included...

BTW ---> What is the deal with the vBulletin "quote error" - big gap added into a quote tag until there is a reply?
EDIT I guess editing one's post, fixes the quote gap too...
EDIT 2 No, it only fixes it if your edit is in the "non advanced" editor; the advanced editor still has the bug; see, it's (the unneeded gap in the quote tag) still here, waiting on a post.

Last edited by PAN_SCN_SUX; 24th January 2011 at 13:37. Reason: Query about vBulletin bugginess...
Old 24th January 2011, 13:42
Super Moderator

Ok, so you have prooven with your post now that havent read the page that I sent you the link for. Of course you can write our own scripts if you dont want to use the existing scripts from ispconfig

1) Login as root user and run:

ispconfig_update.sh

2) See the link that I posted you above:

Code:
cd /tmp
wget http://www.ispconfig.org/downloads/ISPConfig-3-stable.tar.gz
tar xvfz ISPConfig-3-stable.tar.gz
cd ispconfig3_install/install
php -q update.php

Last edited by till; 24th January 2011 at 14:11.
Old 24th January 2011, 13:59

Default OK, show me the light...

What am I missing??? I am not that inept man; I posted in the OP what "ispconfig_update.sh" does, do you not know how your own script behaves, or is there truly something I am missing here??? See attached picture please...

Old 24th January 2011, 14:02

Default At any rate...

Besides Till, how does Step 1 in the post you just made relate to downloading the same version and reinstalling it anyway??? ---> "2) See the link I posted you above."

Quote:
1) Login as root user and run:

ispconfig_update.sh

2) See the link that I posted you above:
Code:
cd /tmp
wget http://www.ispconfig.org/downloads/I...-stable.tar.gz
tar xvfz ISPConfig-3-stable.tar.gz
cd ispconfig3_install/install
php -q update.php
Old 24th January 2011, 14:05
Super Moderator

Quote:
What am I missing???
You do not seem to read the complete posts.

You asked 2 questions for two different update scenarios. 1) How a normal ispconfig update works. 2) How to update a system which is already up to date and I posted you two differnt instructions for these two kind of updates.

Of course the normal update script does not allow you to update a already up to date install to protect a stable installation. If you select SVN, then you can update to SVN versions without version check, but thats for developers only. In case that you need to reconfigure a existing install, I posted you the commands for that under 2).
Old 24th January 2011, 14:17

Default What?

No, Till you are the one not reading and/or comprehending here. I STATED that all one can do is:

1) UPGRADE IF THERE IS ONE.
2) REINSTALL MANUALLY.

Why in the World the "ispconfig_update.sh" REQUIRES there to be an update, even if you need have it (the script) download the same binary to run a reconfigure is beyond me and certainly a flaw in logic.

I had the right answer for reconfiguring an install of the same version when I replied to your first reply. All that can be done is to completely re-download the same binary manually to the tmp folder, unzip and run the "php -q update.php" command from the install folder; just as you posted which I think is silly.

Can we not have the ispconfig_update.sh have a third option then that simply allows it to proceed WITHOUT the version check/update requirement?
Old 24th January 2011, 14:31
Super Moderator

So you want a option in the script for something that you normally should not do and something which is normally not nescessary. I really dont think that we will add this as it will cause more problems then it will help somebody. I think you have not fully understand when this script is needed.

Rerunning the update script is only a nescessary step if you deleted files in /etc like the /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf file and you dont have a backup of them. Everything else is done trough the ispconfig interface, so you never run the update script manually except if there is a new ispconfig update available, and thats what this script ensures. E.g. if you cahnged a IP address, then go to system > server IP in ispconfig and change it there. Thats all. Nobody wants to run a update for that again.
Old 24th January 2011, 14:31

Default Nevermind...

Quote:
Of course the normal update script does not allow you to update a already up to date install to protect a stable installation.
OK, apologies all around. The silliness is to protect one from oneself.

My bad...