Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > HOWTO-Related Questions

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 19th January 2011, 23:38

Default Adding users to samba domain controller.

Hello to you all,

I'm trying to set up a domain controller using this howto:CentOS 5.x Samba Domain Controller With LDAP Backend. I put ldap in the nsswitch.conf file as stated in one of the comments.

My problem is that I don't know how to ad users. I tried using useradd, and phpldapadmin creating a new user. Do I have to put I child entry to let's say domain guest, or create a new entry in users. Usermod doesn't seems to function, I got the notification user doesn't exist. I'm not able to connect to the domaincontroller. Can anybody give me a clue.

With kind regards,

Ad.
Sponsored Links
Old 23rd January 2011, 09:54

After much trial and error I think I solved my problem.

I removed all my wrongly installed smb-users in /etc/groups, /etc/passwords etc. Afterwards added new users as a child entry to a domain group. Afterwards usermod functioned. My big mistake was trying to log in using the xp computername and my own domainname, this should be root and smb-domainname. Afterwards I was able to log in. Still not seeing the shares, but I will try solving that too.
This part wasn't that clear from the howto for a novice.

So this thread can be marked as solved.

Ad.
The Following User Says Thank You to Showa For This Useful Post:
falko (24th January 2011)