Old 19th June 2006, 20:11

Default Help For a novice

Hello all,

Im trying to setup a small wisp in my neighbourhood, and have the need for a email, web, file, proxy, etc. servers, also very importantly traffic managemnet! From my many hours of research i think the only way forward is a linux box, but what and how!!!

As a linux virgin, i have been battling with a few things, mainly what "software" to use. ClarkConnect looks like a good choice, but everywhere i turn i see the words ISPConfig!!! So this looks like the better supported package. But befor i format and reinstall yet another package on my poor P3, i would like to know if ISPConfig will be able to cater for all my needs.

The most important thing for me is to be able to monitor and manage internet traffic, I would like a graph of each user or IP, to be able to throttle and shape each IP differently.

First prize would be an all in one pc, as the network will not be very big, but can it all be done in one and how!!!

Many thanks for anyone who could bare to read thourgh my post, that now looks rather like a entry into "Dear Diary"!!!
_=_=_=_
Mark
Sponsored Links
Old 20th June 2006, 14:03
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,741 Times in 2,575 Posts

So you want a web, mail, ftp, etc. server, and you want to provide internet access to your neighbours? The first can be done with ISPConfig, but for the second you need a router with Radius, etc. Maybe something like IPCop.

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on: