Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 3 > Feature Requests

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 13th October 2010, 19:08

Default SkySQL and MariaDB

Hi the community!

I think it's a good idea that ispconfig install support mariadb / Skysql.

http://mariadb.org/

http://skysql.com/en/index

In the next day, i will try to install and test ispconfig in this environment (mariaDB).

Quote:
MariaDB is kept up to date with the latest MySQL release from the same branch.

In most respects MariaDB will work exactly as MySQL: all commands, interfaces, libraries and APIs that exist in MySQL also exist in MariaDB. There is no need to convert databases to switch to MariaDB. MariaDB is a true drop in replacement of MySQL!

See the MariaDB FAQ for more information.
http://kb.askmonty.org/v/mariadb-versus-mysql

Some customers received a letter from Oracle:

Quote:
Hello Customer,

I am writing as way of introduction. My name is XXX and I am your MySQL contact at Oracle. It is my understanding that you are the most appropriate person to speak with at your organization regarding MySQL. If you have any MySQL requirements, questions on the products, support, consulting or training we provide, please do not hesitate in contacting me.

I'm sure you are aware that Oracle purchased Sun and therefore MySQL last February. We're being told that there will be changes to MySQL's pricing and possibly pricing model soon and wanted to let you know. We have not had a price increase for over 6 years but there will be an increase in the next price list that will be available soon. We've been expecting the increase for the past couple of months but I'm told it the new price list will be released soon.

For those of you using Basic and Silver support we're being told those options will no longer be available. If you wish to continue with Basic or Silver you will need to sign a multi-year agreement and you would be able to keep using Basic or Silver for up to another 3 years.

If you are considering purchasing additional licenses for MySQL support subscription, please let me know, because you can save money if you do it before the changes take place, some time in the next month or two. You can also sign multi-year agreements and lock down current prices for up to 3 years.

You can receive up to a 30% discount for a 3 yr. commitments pre-pay but annual payments are available as well for multi-year agreements.

If you would like to speak to someone about MySQL Cluster, please let me know and I can arrange for an expert to call you within the next week.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you, XXX Oracle
MySQL will not have a certain future in the OpenSource world i think.

Did you plan to support this database?
Sponsored Links
Old 13th October 2010, 21:55
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,264 Times in 4,128 Posts

Mariadb is not as compatible with mysql as they claim on their homepage. So it is definately not a drop in replacement. I tried to install ispconfig on it some time ago for a customer but it does not worked well. Mariadb is much more strict on sql data types then mysql. Maybe there is some kind of switch to relax the type checking in myriadb to make it more compatible to mysql?

As far as I understand, the letter above talks only about the prices of the non gpl versions of mysql database that can be bought from oracle.

Last edited by till; 13th October 2010 at 21:58.
Old 13th October 2010, 22:53

Quote:
Mariadb is much more strict on sql data types then mysql
that's what I understood.

I fear that mysql close some functions for the community version in the future.
Old 14th October 2010, 14:12
Super Moderator

Personally I dont think that they will remove functions that are nescessary to run ispconfig as this would most likely mean that all mojor cms systems like joomla, wordpress and typo3 would not work anymore on mysql as well. But if thats the case, then we will find a solution for that by supporting other mysql forks or even postgres.
Old 14th October 2010, 14:50

Quote:
But if thats the case, then we will find a solution for that by supporting other mysql forks or even postgres.
Perfect

Thank you for your fast answers.
Old 17th May 2014, 13:24

Send a message via Skype™ to Stown

Hi all,

Is it worth after 4 years to try MariaDB again? I am also a fan of MariaDB. Maybe the compatibility is now been solved?
Old 18th May 2014, 10:11
ISPConfig Developer

You could try it, but MariaDB is not officially supported by ISPConfig.

pixcept KG
Old 14th July 2014, 17:52

As many organizations are moving away from MySQL (e.g. RHEL 7 now uses MariaDB as its default implementation) this topic is becoming even more relevant. Not to mention the advantages MariaDB has over MySQL.
Old 14th July 2014, 18:23
Super Moderator

Mariadb should be working already. if I remember correctly it is used by latest opensuse as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to till For This Useful Post:
skycity (14th July 2014)
Old 24th July 2014, 16:52

MariaDB 5.5 is completely compatible with ispconfig with no changes to either of them (for a basic 1 server install, see last paragraph). I've been using it on production systems that host wordpress/joomla sites, and NEVER had any issue with it.

The basic procedure for migrating over to mariadb is:
1)add the repository for mariadb 5.5 (debian wheezy) and apt-get update
2)stop the mysql service
3)apt-get install mariadb-server
3)check mysql service is running, if not start it.

That's pretty much what you have to do to migrate over to mariadb. No, you don't even need to restore your databases.

In my case I'm using it to sync a cluster for ispconfig (galera cluster), built without ispconfig's cluster support. There are 2 extremely small details that you need to change, then everything is working OK, and changes are mirrored between the cluster's members. Adding a new site for example on one server gets added to the database, which is in turn replicated to the other server's database, ispconfig notices the change, and creates the directories/files needed on the 2nd server as well. Bonus points if you set it up between different datacenters.