Old 11th October 2010, 18:45

Default Need clarification on DNS used.

Ok.. I know that I am just missing the obvious.. go fig.. it is a normal Monday.

Which DNS is used / Installed in the The Perfect Server - Ubuntu 10.04 [ISPConfig 3] tutorial. I am certain it is just Bind but I want to make sure that MyDNS is not what is in place.

The other thing is that I could use a little help setting up a reverse DNS zone via the ISPConfig interface. I think I just need to set up a zone with the name of xx/xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.in-addr.arpa and things should work. Problem here is that if Bind is the DNS server that is being used, then no file gets created for this zone as it does with the other zone that I create such as example.com.

What am I missing?

Thank guys!
Sponsored Links
Old 11th October 2010, 18:50
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,501 Times in 4,330 Posts

The installed DNS server is BIND, see http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-se...ispconfig-3-p4 chapter 16.

Regarding your other questions, do you get any warnings or errors in the ispconfig system log?
Old 11th October 2010, 19:22

I tried to create the zone at first and got the message that it was an invalid name. I found a post on editing the php config to allow for the format and I created the zone. It does show up in the ISPConfig database but I never see a Bind file.

I removed the zone this morning till I could figure out was really going on.

It would be nice to have an option in the DNS section to create a reverse zone such as this. I have used WebMin in the past on my other Perfect Server install without ISPConfig installed but I was not sure that would be a wise thing to put in place now and was doing my best to learn the software.

anything that I should look for?
Old 11th October 2010, 20:17

I checked my old server and I find the following.

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx_xx.rev is present under /etc/bind and this file contains the records for xxx/xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.in-addr.arpa

I am not able to see the same thing on the new ISPConfig server..

I also note that the file names are different.

old server = example.com.hosts

new server = pri.example.com

I am sure the name is not really anything.

The big question is why things are not showing up..?? It has got to be something really simple that I am missing..
Old 11th October 2010, 20:32
Super Moderator

Which ISPConfig version do you use? Editing a php file to allow / in dns zones is not nescessary anymore in the current release.
Old 11th October 2010, 20:45

ISPConfig 3.0.3.

I edited this file:
/usr/local/ispconfig/interface/web/dns/form/dns_ptr.tform.php

made the following change

'regex' => '/^[\w\.\-\/]{1,256}$/'

was - 'regex' => '/^[\w\.\-]{1,256}$/'

That is the only way I could get ISPconfig to accept xxx/xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.in-addr.arpa as a valid zone.

DO I NEED TO HAVE THIS ZONE STILL? It is my understanding that without a reverse zone that covers the IP Address range that I control that my DNS resolution will not work properly. Given this is the way I did things before. If it is taken care of by just adding a PTR record directly in the main example.com zone then I can give that a shot but that just confuses me more unless there is some cool behind the scenes working going on here.

Keep in mind that my current production server was built using Virtual Users And Domains With Postfix, Courier, MySQL And SquirrelMail (Ubuntu 9.10) and I just added Webmin to help me configure the DNS and track a few other things.
Old 11th October 2010, 20:49
Super Moderator

The main question is if you or your isp controls the dns zone for that IP address. In most cases, the reverse zone is controlled by the ISP that assigned you the IP address and in that case you do not need a reverse zone on your dns server at all.
Old 11th October 2010, 20:57

Well.. that is a good question. They were "supposed" to delegate control to me so I have always had a reverse zone specified on my end.

Guess I could check. But would still like to know for sure how to get things set up properly.